Search

Rome

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2023, 09:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome

Will be in Rome for 3 days.
please advice mode of transport to be used to move around.
are there any good passes which can be purchased before hand so it becomes easy to move around
Old Jul 25th, 2023, 09:58 PM

Received 28 Likes on 4 Posts
Most of central/ancient Rome is easily accessible on foot, a few outliers being the Vatican/St Peters (easily reachable by metro). We've never bought any passes. ATAC Roma operates public transit in Rome including the bus network - for some reason the website is currently down, but it includes maps and timetables too.
Old Jul 25th, 2023, 11:10 PM

If you booked a hotel in the city centre you can walk everywhere. From the Vatican to the Colosseum is just over 4 km. A hotel in the middle means a little more than 30 minutes to one or the other .

There are day tickets you can buy but considering a single ride is still less than €2 not likely to make sense unless you're staying in the suburbs. If you are change hotel.
Old Jul 25th, 2023, 11:43 PM

A single ticket costs €1.50 and is good for unlimited bus trips and one metro trip for 100 minutes. I would rarely need more than 3 of those in a day, for a total cost of €4.50. A 24-hour pass costs €7, so for most people that wouldn't be worth the price. There are also 48- hour and 72-hour passes, but all of them cost more than three trips a day would.

There are also the 48-hour or 72-hour Roma Pass, €32 and €52, which are the same as the transport passes, but include one or two museum and archeological site entrances. These are also usually not worth the cost unless you would really need a transportation pass. Most of the museums in Rome are very reasonably priced. For sites that need reservations, like the Colosseum, you would have to make your reservation first, paying the reservation fee (€2) and indicating you will use the Roma Pass.
Old Jul 26th, 2023, 03:48 PM

Just don't count on using uber in Rome. Local taxi drivers managed to get highly restrictive regulations on uber such that they can only operate the higher cost vehicles. Uber is notorious for high costs and no showing in Rome. If you do need something besides public transport, the best app for Rome is itTaxi, available for both Apple and Android devices.
Old Jul 27th, 2023, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Seamus
Just don't count on using uber in Rome. Local taxi drivers managed to get highly restrictive regulations on uber such that they can only operate the higher cost vehicles. Uber is notorious for high costs and no showing in Rome. If you do need something besides public transport, the best app for Rome is itTaxi, available for both Apple and Android devices.
I can't figure out if itTaxi is for finding official taxis or free-lancers, but I imagine the taxi lobby is able to mostly cut out free-lancers.

At the moment, city taxis are almost impossible to get in Rome. The taxi lobby has shut out Uber and has made it impossible for the city to issue new licenses, and the number of existing taxis is wholly insufficient. They like it that way, though. They never have to wait for a fare and can demand "off-the-record" fare supplements.

This article is in Italian, but you can translate it, or just observe the photo of the taxi queue at Termini Station.

https://www.agi.it/cronaca/news/2023...-ore-22224117/

Some people wait more than two hours for a taxi. There's been a boom in electric bike and scooter rentals, but that's not a solution for the elderly or for people with luggage.

Old Jul 27th, 2023, 10:08 AM

bvlenci, has there been a big change in taxi availability recently? Just wondering, because I arrived in Rome via train just over a year ago, and there was no wait at Termini, there was a line of them waiting. I sure wouldn't want to wait two hours! I'd switch to the bus, even though that's not my choice with luggage.
Old Jul 27th, 2023, 11:39 AM

In years past we have always walked everywhere in Rome, except from/to the airport, but those trips were always in summer. We’ve used the electric bus a few times, especially when my mom was with us, this was extremely convenient in the centro storico.

Have been following this thread with interest as we’ll be spending Thanksgiving week in Rome this year, when the weather may require us to take taxis at times. Will download the itTaxi app on my phone, I will be getting a local sim, which should make it easier.
Old Jul 27th, 2023, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by SusanP
bvlenci, has there been a big change in taxi availability recently? .
Same number of taxis. Just more demand.
Old Jul 27th, 2023, 05:09 PM

Please look into the tram lines.
Old Jul 27th, 2023, 06:44 PM

geetika, I use the bus a lot. Be aware that the 116 electric bus that stopped in Campo d. Fiori and went up by the Villa Borghese, no longer runs.