Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

do we confirm with hotel after booking thru internet site?

Dec 28th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

after booking thru a site like easytobook,booking.com etc do we have to confirm directly with hotel or is a print out of reservation enough.i cannot find the homepage/email of some hotels like ACH leidse square hotel,amsterdam
Dec 28th, 2006, 05:16 PM
GBC

We try, and we copy and take with us both the response and the print out of the reservation. It also is a good time to get further details regarding directions, amenities, parking,etc.

Try: [email protected]

Have a geat trip.
Dec 28th, 2006, 05:41 PM

I've never had a problem, but it seems that occasionally some people do, and I almost always reconfirm. I don't think the problem is necessarily with the booking agency, but sometimes occurs because the hotel staff does not take care of faxes or read emails, or whatever. If you phone the hotel a few days after making the reservation, that gives you a chance to confirm it and set your mind at ease. If there's a problem, you've left plenty of time to fix it.
Dec 28th, 2006, 05:54 PM

Absolutely a smart thing to do. The online middle man gets blamed when you stand in front of the receptionist who doesn't know you from Adam, but that does nobody any good. Have at least something with you that came from the hotel - a confirmation number, the name of who you talked to, a fax, an email - something. It helps a receptionist to help you - s/he can later justify it to his/her supervisor if s/he bends a rule and cuts a corner to accommodate you. If you have nothing, you may get nothing.
Dec 28th, 2006, 08:18 PM
MaureenB

Yes, I always confirm with the hotel directly, even when I've made the reservation with them, but especially when it's through a third party. It doesn't hurt to confirm it.
>-

Dec 29th, 2006, 04:33 AM
ira

Absolutely.
Dec 29th, 2006, 05:06 AM

A lesson we learned the hard way.
Even confirmed, the hotel didn't have our reservation... I'll always wonder about that...
Dec 29th, 2006, 10:03 AM

I always confirm about 6 weeks before arrival. Then I also send another e-mail about two weeks before requesting arrival night dinner reservations. In both correspondences, I'm always upbeat, a little talky and "so excited about visiting their country/city/hotel". I've found that I'm not an anonymous person when I arrive and frequently get upgraded. A little smooze goes a long way.
Dec 29th, 2006, 10:11 AM

I always email or fax the hotel directly to reconfirm bedding type, non smoking, location, etc. I am also in touch with the concierge or front desk prior to my visit to arrange museum tickets, dinner resys, etc.

I print out two copies of everything. including my passport, and keep them in different places. In my excitement and my frenzy to over organize, this has saved me a few times.
Dec 29th, 2006, 11:41 AM

I confirm after making reservation, and a week before arrival. Better safe then sorry, and I've had problems twice already.
Dec 29th, 2006, 01:44 PM

I always confirm directly with the hotel within a couple days after making a booking through any site that is not the hotel itself. I wait a couple days to make sure things are set. Usually I can find email contact information for the hotel (I rarely use booking sites but sometimes do if they have good rates or the hotel belongs to a group that wants you to), but if not, I contact them some other way. All hotels do not have email or at least public email for clients. Many hotels do not have their own websites, but they all have phone numbers or they couldn't do business. Many hotels will not be found with an independent website if they are part of a group, which that one is (the ACH or Amsterdam City Hotels). YOu can find contact info on their website www.amsterdamcityhotels.nl but this is it:

email: [email protected]

phone (0) 20-6126876
FAX (0) 20-6838313

You don't have to confirm directly if you don't want to, that's just what I do.