Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do I need reservations for Amalfi in April?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2010, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Staying in Amalfi Coast from April 15, 2010 for 3 or 4 nights. Leaning toward Amalfi over Positano because will have fairly pregnant wife with me and Positano has been described as having more steps and steeper. She's in good shape and is okay with hills but I thought the steps sounded a little much for her.

Anyway, is this time of year slow enough I can waltz in and get a good deal at a hotel or private room for rent/apartment? I did that in Dubrovnik and other places in Croatia in late August and got some great deals and great places, never stressed just went to tourist office and got hooked up. So far in my research places like Summer in Italy are very expensive and require week reservations. I'm hoping to keep it under $200 US a night and preferably closer to $150. Is this doable? If we need reservations, where can I find apartments that don't require weeks at a time? We can go with a hotel but tend to prefer our own places - but that's not a deal breaker by any means.
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 04:31 PM

Getting an apartment at the last minute can be difficult - since most people reserve in advance. You would have better luck with hotels at the last minute. And both Amalfi and Positano are basically vertical - if you want flatter you should stick to Sorrento.
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 04:40 PM

Well you are right to choose Amalfi over Positano for fewer steps. Ravello (at the top of the hill behind Amafi) might be better still but is harder for transport.

I would email summerinitaly and see if they are willing to consider a deal for less than a week close to the time - obviously now they prefer to rent for a week if they can.

The Hotel Floridiana in Amalfi is very highly reviewed on TA and seems to be within your price range.
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 06:10 PM

I bet you that Luca at summerinitaly.com can find a deal for you that early in the season--ask him.
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 12:30 AM

I don't think you should fail to book given that your wife is pregnant and you are trying to keep to a budget that is low for that area.
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Good points, all. Thanks.
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Then I guess the next question would be - apartment or hotel in Amalfi? We'd like central location to shops and restaurants, under $200, and a comfortable bed (esp for the wife). My guess would be hotel is more likely going to be able to accomodate us on that front but some apartments may be fine if we can find them.