Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do European airports open checked baggage?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2005, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reason I ask is I just bought some TSA-approved locks for my bags, so I can lock the bags and still allow TSA access without destroying the lock, should they need to examine the contents.

This got me thinking - what about the other side of the pond? Do they do checked baggage inspections, too, and if so, do they have the master keys to open TSA-approved locks?
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 12:34 PM

I returned from Munich a month or so ago, and when I got home each of my bags had a printed notice inside indicating that it had been opened and searched in Munich. The bags were checked through to the US, so that may have had something to do with it. Don't know about the TSA locks question.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 12:41 PM

Hi BarryK, that is a good question.

FlyFish, assume your luggage was unlocked?

Barry, I would call your airline and ask them, they should be able to tell you, hopefully. One other thing you could do is have the TSA locks with you and then ask at the European airport(s) where you will be checking your luggage and if allowed you could then put the locks on your luggage.

Happy travels!
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 12:46 PM

Hmmm... I have TSA locks too... did not have a problem in USA. What do you do going to Europe and coming home from Europe - leave your luggage unlocked?? What if the zipper starts moving? Can I at least put a key ring on?
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 01:05 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Yes I leave mine unlocked.

You can use those plastic cable tie thing-ys. I carry along a handful, in case they get clipped (never happened to me) you can reapply.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 01:12 PM

If they open your luggage in Europe and you have a lock on it,they will just destroy the lock (and potentially damage your luggage)> They don't have the TSA master keys.

Old Apr 26th, 2005, 01:51 PM

My brother had his suitcase opened either in Rome or London on our trip home. That was before 9-11 so he had a pad lock on the suitcase and when we picked up our baggage at SFO the lock had been cut off and removed. So, I guess the do check bags in Europe.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 02:19 PM

I have gone to Europe from Brazil several times in the last five years, and my checked bags were never opened. Maybe the problem only occurs with those flying from or to the U.S.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 02:53 PM

Barry-

Do you seriously think, with all the terrorist attacks that went on in Europe in the 80's, same day attacks in Rome's Fiumicino and Vienna's Schwechat Airport in December 1985, where some 16 people died at Fiumicino and 8 died in Vienna,-some Americans among the dead- with bombings and hijackings in Athens, Malta and other places, (not to mention the bombing of Pan Am 103/Lockerbie in 1988) that European airports wouldn't be doing 100 per cent checked baggage screening?

Well they most definitely are, and have been doing 100 for well over 10 years now, long before 9/11. Yes, they will open your luggage and do a physical inspection of its contents should they see something suspicious on their monitors that they can't identify or resolve. Yes, they will break the locks on checked baggage if they need to do such an inspection, more so now than ever-particularly in FRA.

As for TSA approved locks and the master keys, I wouldn't count on European airports having those keys-I believe some do, but don't know which ones. Best thing is to use some other method of securing your baggage, such as the already suggested plastic cable ties, if you want to be assured that your locks won't be broken.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 02:59 PM
ira

Hi Barry,

See if you can return your TSA locks.

I suggest that you buy some small cable ties.

Bring a nail clipper in your carry on to open the cable ties after you leave Customs at your destination.

Put your regular locks on your luggage.

Enjoy your trip.

Old Apr 26th, 2005, 03:03 PM

Inspection, and more importantly, <b> where </b> it may take place depends on the airport.

For example, in Munich, you put your luggae through the detection machines before you check in..at least that's the way it happend the last time I flew out of there (on Lufthansa) and so if there was to be an inspection you would not only know about it..you would be present. Other airports may vary.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 01:41 AM

It is recommended to leave your luggage unlocked. My husband locked his last time, and the lock was broken. Even when they screen the luggage they open them if there is something that looks suspectable.