Search

Locking luggage?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2004, 02:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Locking luggage?

With all the increased security these days, what is the recommended advice regarding locking your check-in luggage? People I know have had cases broken open and/or locks cut off by security. However, it seems to go against the grain to leave bags etc unlocked! I will be travelling internationally UK to US and back and internally within the States, also by air.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 03:17 AM

ttt...
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 03:32 AM
OliveOyl

I know what you mean--I feel very uncomfortable traveling with unlocked bags. I'd been reading abut TSA approved locks here, and bought some yesterday at Sharper Image. $20 for two. They are combination locks which can be opened on the bottom by key as well. TSA evidently has keys for them so if the luggage needs to be checked, they can open the lock, then re-lock it. I don't know if anyone other than Sharper Image carries them...I looked in Brookstone as well, but they didn't have them.

Old Jun 18th, 2004, 03:51 AM

In Philadelphia I've been allowed to stand near the x-ray while the bags are examined and then hand the locks to the technician, who locks the bags.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 05:22 AM

Brookstone does carry the TSA locks, though the stores near me are often out of them. You can also buy small ones at Target.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 05:49 AM
TC

I've been using those plastic cable ties for the past year or so. I bought a pack of 100 bright colored ones at my hardware store. I always carry a few extra in the front zip pocket of my luggage. Rarely have they been removed by TSA. I know if they've been changed because of the colors I use (bright dayglow orange, yellow, green). TSA can cut the cable ties off if they wish to look inside, but they are required to place an inspection notice inside the bag and replace the cable tie. I feel that this way I at least know if my bags have been opened - not so with a lock. The cable tied bags are much less accessable to random theft too as an employee would have to cut the cable off and I would know it was done. I always make sure that whoever checks my luggage at the airport takes note that I did have a cable tie on the bag, this way if its been opened it should have a TSA note inside and everything should still be there. Its not a perfect solution, but its worked so far. Don't forget to pack a pair of substantial sized nail clippers in your carry-on or the outside pocket of your bag to cut the ties off when you reach your destination.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks TC the cable ties sound a great idea!
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 06:04 AM
bonniebroad

TC, thank you for sharing that! We learn something everyday..........

Old Jun 18th, 2004, 08:40 AM

In San Francisco Edwards luggage Embarcadero 3 carries a choice of TSA - approved locks, combination and the old type opened with a key. I got a set of 2 for under $10. On the bottom of the locks there is a code which key to use.

There was a thread on using them, don't remember, on USA forum or Airlines forum, and the new locks got mixed reviews. Some say the luggage was checked and locked again, some say the locks (TSA approved!) were broken. I am ready to give it a try this weekend.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 08:54 AM

I use cable ties as well, I'm really more worried about the zipper opening up than about theft ... I keep the good stuff in my carry on. On our recent trip to CA & Vegas (3 separate flights) several pieces of luggage were inspected on just one flight. The TSA did leave an inspection notices in each piece BUT DID NOT REPLACE THE TIES. Nothing happened but we did notice one of the zippers had started to work its way open.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 09:00 AM

Mcqueeny, the zipper coming open is my fear, too! I don't put the good stuff in checked bags, either.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 09:19 AM

A great way to keep zippers closed I've learned here on Fodor's! Just use a key ring! You don't need a key or a nail clipper to take the ring off.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 09:19 AM

That is, if you are not the president of the US of A