Distance in Paris

Jan 24th, 2004, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Distance in Paris

We have been studying the maps but it's so hard to tell...We are staying in the 13th near Place de Italie, so sort of near the edge of the 5th. How many miles would you guess it might be to walk to the Eiffel Tower? From our estimates, we are thinking it could be about 5 miles. We love to walk but will also have a carte orange, so might not necessarily try to do it. Thanks for any guesstimates!
Jan 24th, 2004, 04:55 PM

Plug the hotel address and the Eiffel Tower address into MapQuest and get an exact number.

I can't imagine it would be five miles, but if you have a Carte Orange, use it. You will want to walk all over Paris anyway just because it's so much fun, but when you're going a fair distance, use the bus or Metro.
Jan 24th, 2004, 05:15 PM

Does MapQuest work for walking distances? I thought it was oriented towards drivers only.
Jan 24th, 2004, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

I tried Mapquest but it didn't recognize the address for the Eiffel Tower or our hotel. (Used the Eurpoe version!) We have lots of maps and books so we can start walking until we feel the need to hop on a bus or the Metro. ( I can't walk TOO far, after all, I was eligible to join AARP last year!)
Jan 24th, 2004, 05:25 PM

Check the scale of the map and you'll know how far it is. I doh't think it's fve miles, either, but I'm i a hotel room in Philadelphia right now with no accss to my Paris materials. But aways checkthe scale of a map to calculate distances.
Jan 24th, 2004, 05:55 PM

Use www.mappy.com
Put 'Place d'Italie', zip (75013) and 'France'.
Then put 'Ecole Militaire', 75007, France.
then choose Pedestrian or 'au pied'.
It comes back with 4.7 km, which is almost 3 miles.
However, Place d'Italie is on Line 6 of the Metro, with a stop at Ecole Militaire, which is at the far end of the Champ de Mars leading up to Tour Eiffel. That's the way I'd go...
Jan 24th, 2004, 06:28 PM

There are 5 good bus lines at the Place d'Italie, and 83 gets closest to the Eiffel Tower. The others are 27,47,57 and 67. To see the routes [which are posted at the stops], go to:

http://216.239.37.104/translate_c?hl...UTF-8%26sa%3DG
Jan 24th, 2004, 07:14 PM

I would've made an educated guess as to about three miles, also, so that seems about right. Place d'Italie isn't really on the edge of the 5th, though, so hope you aren't disappointed in that. You could walk to the edge of the fifth from there, of course, but it's probably about .3-.4 mile.
Jan 24th, 2004, 10:10 PM

hi allisonm,

You are way to far to walk, unless you are a fitness wiz.

the good thing is that you are near a metro stop that goes directly by the tour eiffel. although it may only be 4-5 miles thats not easy walking in paris. one because you will be crossing some really nasty intersections. Walking in paris is just like in any busy city...great within neighboorhoods, but not cross city. you are actually going from almost extreme south east paris all the way across to south west paris

a place d'italie metro:

Take the metro line 6 at the place d'italie metro station, direction..Charles de gaulle-etoile and get off at bir-hakeim.
walk the underground tunnel to the connecting station (champs something??) and then walk up the road to the tower.

you do not have to change any stations.

hope this helps...
Jan 25th, 2004, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

I tried to say this earlier but it didn't post: THANK YOU!

I was thinking that since we walked all over London that we could probably do the same in Paris. Obviously I will have a much better idea once we get there, but I think for now I will plan to take Bus/Metro to specific sights, and save our walking for our Paris Walks (I got the book for Christmas!)

(I think our farthest walk in London was from Marble Arch to Buckingham to Big Ben to Tower Bridge/Tower of London and a few blocks above. We took the tube back, my DH was exhausted. And I was the one who started the day with a slight hangover!)