Search

Distance From City to Airport?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2007, 08:02 PM
lze
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Distance From City to Airport?

Hello, We will be traveling with Trafalgar tours soon and they stay close to the airport for convenience of getting people to and from of course. However, we will be staying several extra nights. Does anyone know just how far it is to the main part of the city? How expensive would it be to take a cab into the city? Would it be worth it to change hotels? I would guess a hotel in the center of the city might be higher priced. Any recommendations or ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 08:11 PM

Anywhere from five kilometres to seventy kilometres depending on the airport and the city.
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 08:13 PM

Any particular city? Some have good transportation links to airports; some are farther and harder to get to and from. Most have hotels that range in price, but are generally cheaper than hotels in the center of cities. Hard to give specifics without a city, though.

Personally, and without even knowing which country you're going to, I think it is always "worth it" to change hotels from one at the airport to one in the historic center of a European city. Assuming, of course, that we are talking about a European city.
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 08:27 PM

Hello, are we supposed to have a guessing game as to which city you are asking about. It may be obvious to you but not to me.
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 10:58 PM
lze
Original Poster

How silly of me. I didn't realize I didn't include the city. I am talking about Rome. We are staying at the Sheraton Golf Hotel and wonder how far it is to the city or if anyone knows what the cab cost might be etc. After traveling for two weeks through Italy we are booked there and will go to the airport to get our transfer to go on a cruise. But..........for a few days we would like to be able to get around some without too much difficulty. Should we look into changing hotels? Thanks again all.
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 06:49 AM

Ize,
We just returned from 12 days in Italy, and spent 6 nights in Rome. You might want to consider changing hotels to make the most of your time in Rome. We stayed in the historic center right by the Pantheon which was a great central location for walking to most sights. We took a taxi to the airport this past Tuesday a.m. and it was a good 45 minute ride costing 40 euro. In contrast, when we used taxis several times in the city we paid between 7 and 10 euro (from Termini to our hotel and to Galleria Borghese, for example). Hope this helps. Have a great trip!
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 09:40 AM

Definitely stay in a hotel in the center. that way you can have nice dinners in romantic restaurants and stroll among the floodlit squares and fountains after dinner. Instead of paying a fortune in cabs to rush to and fro the hotel at the end of nowhere.
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 06:15 PM

Also, don't go to the airport for your transfer to the cruise. Just take the train to the port. The train station is less than a mile from the port.