Reload this Page >

distance by car from brussels tp strasbourg

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 02:45 PM
mark

Hi,<BR>My wife and I, will be traveling and were trying to determine how long it takes to drive from Brussels to Strasbourg? We will be arriving in Brussels March 10 .<BR>thanks

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 03:30 PM
David

<BR>www.shellgeostar.com<BR>www.mappy.com<BR>www.v iamichelin.com<BR><BR>These are just a few of the map/driving websites. Many people think that viamichelin is more accurate as I do. Maybe because you can put in your departure time so it takes into account rush hour traffic more?

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 09:02 PM
Ronda

I can't remember how long it took us to drive Brussels to Colmar, but probably most of a day. <BR><BR>I used the viamichelin site to map our route. It is wonderful. You can print out an itinerary with times, distances, and exact directions and a map. Believe me, this really helped us lot. <BR><BR>I would suggest you also buy a good Michelin map. By good, I mean one with lots of details. I can't find my map at the moment but I think it was 1:400. I think the 1:200 was too detailed but the 1:400 was very handy, and the larger ones didn't show enough detail.

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 09:13 PM
Ronda

Forgot: Before we left I took a yellow highlighter and highlighted our route on the map. <BR><BR>The most difficult part of driving from Brussels to Colmar for us was that you have to take small roads between the highways or it seemed that the highway (toll road) ended and everyone was taking a small two lane road to get to the next highway. This was very strange to me as I am used to getting on a freeway and not getting off until I reach my destination. I felt sorry for the little towns that have to put up with all the traffic.<BR><BR>We were traveling with business associates (engineers) who were very thankful for my advance preparation. I handed them a set of Michelin directions, they clocked it exactly on the odometer, and had no problems. I on the other hand, tended not to believe the directions when I saw a sign saying something differant and had trouble. <BR><BR>By the way, where are you picking up your car in Brussels? Our friends picked their's up near the central train station and had an awful time getting out of Brussels even on a Sunday AM. We picked our's up at the airport, hopped on the freeway, and had no problems. Had to take the train from our hotel to the airport but that was no problem.

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 09:24 PM
Ronda

Went back and looked at my saved itineraries on viamichelin. Brussels to Colmar is 4 hours 40 minutes (if you don't get lost). Going through Verdun would have taken 6 hours not counting the visit to the Museum (we didn't do this). Brussels to Strasbourg is 4 hours, again, that is with no stops and not getting lost.

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 10:32 PM
mark

Thanks for the info! We do not want to get the car in Brussels if we can help it. Even though I consider myself a very good driver, I am bit intimadated by Belgian drivers, are they as bad as everyone says? And what about in country, do they drive like maniacs as well?<BR>Thanks<BR>Mark

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 10:53 PM
David

I drove from Luxembourg City through Liege, Brussels and into Holland in the Spring of 2001. I didn't have any problems. I didn't think it was any worse than France or Germany. <BR><BR>The countryside was easier driving if only because it was less congested. I drove straight into Brussels, parked the car, and didn't use it again until I drove out 4 days later. Public transportation was the way to go while in Brussels.

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 10:56 PM
BTilke

Driving on the Belgian highways if fairly easy (and they're very well lit at night). Driving in Brussels itself can be a nightmare. We've driven around the Place Louise area of Brussels at rush hour and the Arc de Triomphe area in Paris at rush hour and I'd take Paris traffic any day!

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 04:00 AM
bru

Dirving in the countryside in Belgium is pretty easy. In Brussels, the traffic can be bad, but you should have no problem on the major streets. The side streets are the problem. The rule in Belgium is priorite a la droit. That means that anyone coming into a street from a side street on your right hand side has priority unless there is a row of triangle (shark's teeth) on the side street.<BR><BR>The problem is twofold. The side streets in Brussels often have cars and trucks parked or double-parked right up to the intersection so there is no way to see if a car is coming. It is always best to slow down before an intersection to be certain, although the locals won't like it if you slow down at an intersection with a side street that is one way coming from the left.<BR><BR>The other problem is that the priority on the right rule works only if you don't hesitate. So cars will come barreling at your from your right throughout Brussels. IMO the communes of Ixelles, St.Gilles and Uccle are the toughest due to small street and lots of congestion.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 02:11 PM
Myriam

<BR>Mark,<BR>I don't consider myself as being a maniac on the road, nor as being a bad driver! <BR>Try to avoid rush hour on the freeways 'cause that may be a stressful event. And avoid driving in Brussels.<BR>Driving in the country shouldn't be any more difficult than in any other country.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 06:54 PM
mark

Thanks,<BR>I feel better about driving on my trip. I wish the trip could come sooner, because I know we will have a great time.<BR>Mark