Discount Stores in Paris

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 05:45 PM
Sheila

Discount Stores in Paris

Is there a chain in Paris comparable to TJMaxx or Marshall's here in the US?
Signed,
Inveterate Bargain Hunter

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 05:47 PM
Shannon

Monoprix.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 05:50 PM
lafemme

Ha! Monoprix is a general store but it is NOT cheap at all. Ever been to Paris, Shannon?

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 05:59 PM
StCirq

Monoprix is indeed an inexpensive store, compared to the major department stores, for example, but it doesn't compare to TJMaxx or Marshalls - there's nothing like that in Paris that I've ever found, and I've beaten the pavement for more than two decades.
There are second-hand shops, some selling designer labels and some selling ordinary stuff, that feature prices like those of the discount stores in the US, if that would interest you. And there are stores like Etam and C&A that sell pretty good quality stuff for far less than Galeries Lafayette and Printemps. But discount stores as we know them in the USA? I'm afraid not. Or at least I haven't discovered them yet.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 07:02 PM
xxx

Slightly more like Kmart is Tati.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 11:58 PM
xxx

Cora is a the french equilivent of kmart or wal-mart, with a much better food/produce section. They are all over France and Belguim. Not sure if or where they are in Paris, though I shop at the Cora in Forbach, France. Great cheese counter....As for designers selling their stuff to chains like Marshalls or TJMaxx, Chanel burns the stuff that isn't sold at the end of the season, rather than see it end up in this type of store. It help keep the image of exclusivity that these types of designers favor. But then again, if you shop at these types of store I am guessing that you aren't wearing Chanel, etc...

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 07:44 AM
Jennifer

Actually, I've found Monoprix to be relatively expensive. It has a great selection of items! But they aren't inexpensive at all. I wouldn't call Monoprix a department store, but more of an expensive Wal-mart. They sell groceries, hardware, stationery items, cosmetics, and just all-around household items. I haven't been to every Monoprix, but I haven't seen any large clothing departments or dish and linen departments or furniture.

Franprix (spelling?) is MUCH cheaper than Monoprix.

Jennifer

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 09:11 AM
Christina

There are clothing stores that sell designer clothes with the labels off in Paris (some on rue Alesia, for example) but that isn't exactly the same as TJMaxx or Marshall's which have a little bit of everything. I think Monoprix is cheap compared to the main stores and you could call them a dept store as much as places like Kohls (which calls itself a dept store) or Marshalls or Penneys. I've been in several in Paris that have quite large clothing sections, as well as home items. They don't sell furniture but many US dept stores don't do that, either. The Monoprix near place Charles Michel is very large and has a huge clothing section, the rue de Rennes one is a little more upscale as you'd expect being in St-Germain, but the entire ground floor is clothing (they will have different styles in this one than some others), the Inno near Montparnasse Tower (which is owned by Monoprix and has the same labels and stuff) is the biggest one I've been in and also has very large clothing sections, as well as other stuff.

To be honest, I really don't much like Marshalls or TJMaxx where I live, they have mainly junk and a terrible selection, so maybe they are better elsewhere. I would not spend my vacation time in a foreign country shopping in discount stores like THMaxx or MOnoprix or any of that -- you can buy that same stuff elsewhere for the most part. I only shop there for cheap clothes if I need a sweater or socks or something to supplement my travel wardrobe due to unforeseen weather or something, as well as for some cosmetics or toiletries. I also will be candy and items like that, but I would not make it a big point to go there as part of my plans.

I think Tati is awful and isn't really anything like Kmart, it doesn't have the same variety of merchandise (and the clothes I've seen there were actually worse than Kmart).

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 09:35 AM
Savvy Shopper

Auchan is the original "hypermarket" concept on which those awful super centers are based. They originated in France. Not sure about locations in Paris, but there are some on the outskirts.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 10:11 AM
Jennifer

I haven't been to a regular Tati store, but the Tati jewelry store was actually quite nice! Certainly it wasn't a Tiffany's, but I bought a lovely ring for ~$60. in 18ct gold. Personally, what I love about European jewelry (I'm really only familiar with Antwerp, Belgium and Paris, France as far as jewelry goes) is that it's much more delicate than what I see in US stores. I don't care for chunky jewelry (well, except for wooden beads but not gold rings) but the bands on rings were much thinner and dainty than what I'm used to seeing here. Also, it's much easier to get a single stone without a lot of little stones or designs around it.

Jennifer

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 10:48 AM
elvira

Oh dear God, civilization as we know it is coming to an end:
http://www.valueretail.com/paris.html

I'm investigating these in the fall:
http://www.marquesavenue.com/stdenis/index.asp
http://www.quaidesmarques.com/

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 06:13 AM
cafe114

Thanks for everyone's input, especially Elvira for the websites. I just love to shop, and I would enjoy the flea market aspect of a TJ's in Paris.
Sheila