Discounets Tickets to Mamma Mia

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 08:38 AM
LUIS

Discounets Tickets to Mamma Mia

Hello!
Where can I buy dicount tickets for Mamma Mia?
Thanks, Luis

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 08:43 AM
Dan

If you mean the Broadway show in New York, try TKTS on 47th and Broadway. Somehow, I think you mean something else, especially since this is the Europe forum?

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 08:52 AM
Patrick

Whatever made you think he was talking about New York, Dan? As you say this is the European forum and anyone in the know would assume he's talking about London since Mama Mia started there and has been playing about two or three years longer than in New York. It's not a Broadway show -- it's a London show, which now happens to also be playing on Broadway.

But to answer your quesion, Luis, you can probably forget about it. You are lucky to get even full price tickets for less than about four to six months advance. It is still a very popular show and no reason for the producers to be offering discounts.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 09:30 AM
sue ann

try the links on timeout.com/london
u might get lucky

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 09:34 AM
janis

You will likely not get tickets at any discount. The show is a regular sell out even after this long run. In Dec I only needed a single and went to the theatre box office - Had to go to my third choice of dates to get a single.

When are you going? If it is in a few months, phone the box office directly. Have a few alternative dates ready. The other way - each day they do sell returns at the theater but you have to queue outside for an hour or two. (Returns are not discounted)

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 10:00 AM
jay

last summer i called the box office when in london and got a fabulous seat for two days later - full price but it is worth it.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 11:12 AM
xxx

try Vegas.

It's openning at the Madalay Bay in mid February.

Tix are now on sale.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 06:25 PM
playgoer

A year ago we went to the box office thinking we might get a last minute pair of tickets or standing room...no dice. We were told to return the next day at 1pm (I think)to check returns. We went an hour prior to the suggested time and got on line ! We did get 2 good seats but paid full price. It was worth it.

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 01:39 PM
Sue

Colleague of mine got 3 MM tix at discount booth sometime during Easter week last year.

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 01:42 PM
canada

Try the Toronto production.

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 02:10 PM
Patrick

Sue, I'm not disputing your word, but I suspect those tickets were not from the Official Half Price Booth, but from one of the many "so called" discount booths nearby. That is no guarantee that your colleague got a discount on them -- perhaps he did. The usual thing there is to sell very cheap seats at face value or even above. In other words they mention that the top price tickets to Mama Mia are maybe 45 pounds and then they sell a ticket for 25 pounds, even though that seat they've just sold you would have cost only 20 pounds at the theatre!

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 05:25 PM
xxx

http://www.officiallondontheatre.co.uk/index.cfm/fa/tkts.showpage

This is the URL of the Official TKTS (half price) booth.
Unfortunately,Mamma Mia is not listed as being available at a discount.

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 07:39 PM
Sue

I believe he said he got them at the Leicester Sq. ticket place; maybe I'm mistaken about the price and/or place, but he got some tix somehow.

When I saw it in Nov, '02, I bought tix online from here in USA and paid more than face value b/c supposedly there were no seats available. The night we went to the performance there was a giant line of folks wanting to buy tix from anyone.

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 10:38 PM
janis

Sue - that is where many unsuspecting folks go wrong. Just as they get out of the Leicester Sq tube station there are 5 or 6 "1/2 price" brokers lined up one right after another. There are always queues at these - but they are ticket brokers, are not half price, and are little more than legit scalpers. The Official TKTS booth is a hundred yards farther on the other side of the square.

Every time pass all the tourists lined up at these other booths I want to shout - "NOT THAT ONE, - GO AROUND TH CORNER!!!!" But I never do . . . . .

Old Jan 19th, 2003, 05:25 AM
Patrick

I know what you mean, janis. I was even told that some of those booths employ people to stand near them in the crowd and loudly talk about the deal they just got at a certain booth. Since the flat I rent is just a couple blocks east of there, I often pass by them. Last year I noticed the same people standing near one everyday, each time saying something like, "Look I can't believe I got these tickets for Mama Mia today at half price". I'm sure they weren't really buying the same tickets everyday, so I suspect that yes, they are employed as part of the gimmick of attracting customers. And ironically I've seen the lines at some of them actually longer than the lines at the Official half-price booth. The Official one is easy to spot, as it is a freestanding building right in the "park" at Leicester Square.

Old Jan 19th, 2003, 10:39 AM
Sue

Tres interessant; good info to have!

Old Jan 19th, 2003, 11:06 AM
natalie

I got 4 tickets on the same day as the show in a shopping mall around the corner from the theatre. Was a little bit more expensive but worth it. When I arrived at the theatre there were also many scalpers selling tickets outside. Perhaps if you wait until the last minute the scalpers will come down on prices but I don't think you'll be able to get discounts beforehand.

Old Jan 19th, 2003, 11:50 AM
gina

My boyfriend and me were going by those booths at Leicester and we were approached by a young couple who said they had just bought half price tickets for Mama Mia but made a mistake and couldn't use them, as they meant to get them for the matinee but these were evening, and the ticket place wouldn't take them back. We agreed to buy them from them, I think we paid about 20 pounds each for them and were very excited, but when we went at intermission we looked at the box office and saw that our seats would have been 15 (the exact numbers may not be right but are close). So I guess we were taken -- the seats were in the back and side of the balcony. But we loved the show anyway. Two days later we saw the same two people at the same place. I think patrick is right, they must work for the booth.

Old Jan 19th, 2003, 01:02 PM
Mel

My husband and I went to the theatre around noon on a Friday in October, just to check the time the booth selling returned tickets opened, since that's usually how we buy tickets and many don't open until 6:00 p.m. Surprised that it was already open. We walked up, gave her several days, offered to come to any show (time) and she offered us the 5:00 show that evening, ninth row center. UNBELIEVABLE! We paid full price, but that was okay with us. I'm going back next month and I'll try that again. Loved that show!