Reload this Page >

Londoner in New York

Search

Londoner in New York

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 04:21 AM
Hartster

Londoner in New York

I'm taking my girlfriend to New York in February (15th-19th). I've been a few times; as a kid with mum and dad, as a student staying with friends, that kind of thing; but she has NEVER been, and i want her to have the time of her life.

I'd appreciate your help on the following. Bear in mind we apreciate quality and class but are very laid back people; we don't like snooty service in restaurants or hotels....

1. Hotel - Upper Midtown to Central Park area I would be nice - i was thinking the Waldorf or Benjamin? Good choices? Other Ideas?

2. Musical - coming from London I've seen a few, so i was thinking, The Producers, Hairspray or Aida - not on here in London. Also, where should I get tickets from - the prices seem to be double that of London theatres....! (i was lookingat broadway.com)

3. Restaurant - here i need most help - i want one knockout, romantic restaurant (but not too formal or snooty). And, should I book in advance - if so, how far?

OK - i dont want to overstay my welcome, so no more questions for now. Thanks for your help....

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 05:11 AM
Abbey

Don't worry about asking too many questions and overstaying your welcome, we are happy to have you and we love to give opinions/hints/tips to make your stay enjoyable.

I'll direct my answer to your comment on the theaters. Your choices are very good, and you are right about ticket prices being more expensive than in London. However, please look at Playbill.com and Hitshowclub.com and theatermania.com - these are theater websites where you can find discounts for shows. Also, we have 2 ticket booths for discount tickets (these would be half price seats, but keep in mind these are usually half price for the more expensive seats, you won't get $45 seats at half price!) The musicals you listed are very popular and most likely will not be at TKTS, but you might be able to obtain them from one of the other venues I mentioned, or check out the NYC Visitor's center for "Buy 1 get 1 Free Vocuhers for Tickets" Personally, I have found Broadway.com to be more expensive than other sites.

I hope you enjoy your visit here, now can someone help "Hartster" with hotel options and restaurants?

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 05:34 AM
Howard

First of all, Harster, we'll need a little more information: How much do you want to spend on the hotel and the restaurant?
Next, concerning the theater, you're are not going to find any discount tickets for either The Producers or Hairspray in February. If you want February tickets for either show, get them now! As for discounts on other shows, it's too early to find any offers. Aida has been available on discount lately, so you are likely to find cheaper tickets for that one when you come (or shortly before you come). Check www.playbill.com and join its club (there's no charge). Then, you are "eligible" for discounts. Special offers for February will probably start appearing just after the year-end holiday season.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 06:26 AM
Flynn

Hartster, the Plaza Hotel is very New York, romantic and right across the street from Central Park, horse-drawn carriages, and very central. The Waldorf is in a very congested business area.

For restaurants that are excellent and not snooty, I like Gramercy Tavern, Gotham Grill, Tabla and Union Square Cafe. Balthazar is fun. The best tapas are at El Cid. Grab a copy of Time Out New York Magazine and check out restaurants and also Chowhound.com which is a terrific source.

Have fun!

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 07:22 AM
Stephanie P.

Why would you recommend theatre when London has excellent productions? I'd suggest seeing all the typical tourist sites that London wouldn't have.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 07:26 AM
x

Stepanie -what do you know about NYC, London or theater????

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 07:29 AM
nj

Stephanie - if you read Hartster's post, you would've noticed he is inquiring about shows they DON'T have in London. Besides, if one's a theater lover, then of course one would want to take in some Broadway.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 07:47 AM
Stephanie P.

XX or whatever name you go by today:

I have been to both cities and have experienced theatre.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 07:51 AM
x

Stephanie-so now you're the expert

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 08:20 AM
lisa

Harster -- sounds like you're planning a great trip!

I guess the hotel depends on what you're interested in. I think the Waldorf has a lovely lobby and ballrooms, but the rooms can be small and old -- a little overrated. Ditto for the Plaza. The Benjamin was recently renovated (I think -- unless I'm confusing it with the Kimberly). Both are in an okay location -- mostly a business district, but with access to Fifth Ave shopping, Rockefeller Center, Upper East side museums, etc.

Other hotels to consider are the Helmsley Palace or the Omni Berkshire (both are at 51st & Madison). For something more intimate, try the Mark (Upper East Side) or even the Stanhope (across from the Metropolitan Museum).

I think you've gotten some good advice on theatre, so I'll leave that alone.

One thought might be to start out your romantic evening at the Metropolitan Museum. They have a quintet that plays on the mezzanine level Fri & Sat nights and there's a bar. Drinks there are a lovely way to end a day of sightseeing and begin a nice evening. In fact, we got engaged at the rooftop of the Metropolitan Museum. But I digress. . . .

As for a nice dinner, there are literally thousands of restaurants that could fit the bill. If you tell us something about the type of food you like and the amount you'd like to spend, we can tailor our suggestions better. But, I might suggest 11 Madison Park. Went there recently for my anniversary (see -- that Metropolitan Museum thing did the trick!). The food is wonderful and the room is beautiful, but it isn't stuffy or snobby. The service is good and it's a well-heeled, sophisticated, but not "older" crowd. Might just fit the bill. It can be somewhat loud, though, due to high ceilings.

Just a thought.

Anyway, I hope you have a great time!

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 08:35 AM
former nyc resident

Look for the longest posted question on the site today and see my other comments on NYC. Most romantic restaurant is One if by Land, Two if by Sea...Paul Revere's cry when you Brits where coming....in an old converted townhouse-stable in the East Village. However I went there once in winter and almost froze to death. The central heating was not great but the place is a knock out. Take her for a drink at the Four Seasons Bar and then dine at the Monkey Bar, that is very trendy and fun in midtown. Gotham Bar and Grill and Gramercy Tavern are very New York experiences. Forget Union Square Cafe, you cannot get in no matter how far you call in advance. Park Avenue Cafe is fun for brunch on Sunday and very American. Lots of great Vietnamese restaurants, check them out too. I think the Waldorf is perfect, great location.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 08:53 AM
gc

Another vote for One if by Land, Two if by Sea for a romantic dinner.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 09:09 AM
resident

One if by land is an excellent choice, but it's very old-school (think lots of flowers, tuxedos, piano player, wood paneling). Another hit is the River Cafe in brooklyn with gorgeous views of the city. Babbo is a great and romantic italian. And then there's Nobu, a perennial favorite among the celebrity crowd.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 09:50 AM
kim

Former New York City resident,

don't tell them to give up on the Union Square Cafe so easily! As long as you know how far in advance they take reservations (I think it is either 21 or 28 days) and call the first day you are allowed to, it isn't THAT hard to get a reservation! I went to USC on my last trip to NYC, had no trouble getting the reservation, and enjoyed it tremendously!

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 10:07 AM
stupid

Oh SHUT UP STEPHANIE!
Your last post about New York was bashing it.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 10:10 AM
nyer

Hartster,
if you get homesick, there is a place called Tea & Sympathy that you might enjoy
have dessert at Serendipity.
all the good recommendations have already been made! Listen to Howard, he is always on the mark!

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 11:34 AM
Ann

I'd avoid the Waldorf. I was very disappointed in it. Lisa's description was spot on.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 12:40 PM
Patti

Hi Hartster,

Just saw something on television this week about the Hudson, Ian Schrager's latest hotel, which is supposedly very beautiful but also reasonably priced (for New York.) Go to www.ianschragerhotels.com to see it.

Patti

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 12:56 PM
Stephanie P.

StupidCow:

How dare you insult your wife.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 04:33 PM
WakeUp

Stephanie -

Didn't you read Hartster's post? He SPECIFICALLY theatre advice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -