Directions

Apr 19th, 2003, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Directions

Which of the two map/driving direction website is better or reliable....mappy.com or viamichelin.com? Thanks!
Apr 19th, 2003, 07:53 AM

I find both to be a bit misleading in terms of driving times. They tend to be too optimistic. As for driving distance estimates, they are both OK but might vary in results depending on the route. Frankly, the best way to get good driving info, along with suggestions on where to stop along the way, is to use the Fodor's website. People who have been there and who have driven those roads are the best source of information. If you use one of the map websites to get some general ideas, then come to Fodor's to ask for final suggestions, you'll be as well prepared as you can be. Good luck.
Apr 19th, 2003, 07:59 AM

Hah! I was going to reply that viamichelin and the other sites overstate the drive times. I guess it's all in how fast you drive.

On our trip to Germany last year, we found the viamichelin routes to be excellent every time--even when we got off the beaten tourist routes and took little back roads. But of course they don't provide suggestions on where to stop on along the way.
Apr 19th, 2003, 10:47 AM

LOST IN GERMANY was the theme of our trip. It was loads of fun though. We had basic maps and nothing too detailed. We relied mostly on street signs and a freeway map which is not really a great idea. Our German wasn't too good.
Apr 19th, 2003, 11:16 AM
MGB

Euroshell will also do trip tics. I cannot attest to accuracy and times because last trip we used CWlease which no longer provides mapping directions. You might want to compare some routes. We usually take a spiral bound Michelin Europe Road Atlas (we usually visit at least 4 countries). The atlas is great for unplanned roads.
Apr 19th, 2003, 11:48 AM

I have usually found that both are pretty accurate in driving times. Of course if you make stops along the way you'd need to add that time, but we generally find that if anything we make it just a little quicker than they state. Last year, I printed off combinations of both Michelin and Mapquest routes for quite a number of days driving in Corsica, France, Italy, Sardinia, Sicily, and Croatia. Nearly every one was within a half hour of the actual driving time we did.

Within the United States a couple times I've been surprised at what seemed like too short of a time being stated for the distance, but again, it seems we always seem to be about the same time as they state.
Apr 19th, 2003, 12:02 PM
MGB

Sorry about the Euroshell recommendation. Just checked out the site which I had not been on for a few months only to find out that they discontinued the service!. It is a shame since they were much more detailed than viamichelin.
Apr 19th, 2003, 12:14 PM

Although I hardly ever just drive from point A to point B without a diversion somewhere, I have found the viamichelin maps to be the best. But I'm with RufusT on the drive times. I usually get there faster than what they post. Of course, I'm from California where we are, for the most part, insane drivers.
Apr 19th, 2003, 12:22 PM
MGB

Hi again
After using Euroshell and CWlease I found the viamichelin not as user friendly for me. I like really detailed directions. Since we are planning a trip this fall and I only had general directions I started doing a search. Maporama seems to be a helpful site also. I do not have one, but the site apparently has the capability to download the directions to a palm. That could be interesting.
Apr 19th, 2003, 11:25 PM

Nobody seems to have mentioned mapquest, which is the site I always use within the UK, but also covers the rest of Europe.

For a test I've just asked for directions from my home to my daughter's from mapquest, mappy and viamichelin. It's about 25 miles and usually takes me around 20-30 minutes (the largest portion of the journey is motorway). All three sites gave slightly different routes, none of which were exactly the same one that I use. But the biggest difference was in the driving times - 59 minutes at viamichelin, 40 minutes at mappy and 35 minutes at mapquest.