Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for a good driving map of Germany?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any suggestions for a good map to use for driving around Germany?
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 09:33 AM

I believe Michelin makes maps for Germany, and we find their maps to be the best for driving. You can get a very large-scale map for general use and then smaller regional ones when you need them.
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 11:32 AM

Second Michelin as the best maps for driving. But I believe there are several maps for the various areas of Germany - which you would really need unless you're going to stay only on the autobahns. Also, you will need spearate street maps for any city or town you drive into. Usually you can get these in advance from the German Tourist office of the Tourist office of the specific town.
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 02:23 PM

Yes, call the German tourist office here in the US and they will mail you a variety of useful info plus maps for specific cities.
Have fun on the Autobahn.
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 04:26 PM

i like michelin maps for planning, but find them too big and bulky for actual touring in the car...

i have just returned from germany and our first stop was in a book shop to buy a map book...i think we paid about 8-9 Euros...they range from 5-20 euros depending on what you want and need....they open like a spirial notebook and are easy to follow and make sure you get one with a town index (some have no index--cheap ones)...they are also available at most gas stations...they show lots of details....sometimes they are called ordanance maps....they are the size of a large magazine, somewhere between life and time...
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 05:48 PM

All the tips above are good. Main point to remember is that Germany is densely populated. You will do best with the Michelin map for the area you are in. It will give you the detail you need for the small towns, etc. Purchasing the map book in Germany is not a bad idea.
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 07:53 PM

All the suggestions sound good. I would suggest strongly getting a good map or maps before you leave. We forgot to bring our maps and so had to purchase one at a gas station, and it was incomprehensible to us.

If I had it to do over, I'd be sure to print out driving directions from ViaMichelin or Mappy before leaving home, especially detailed directions for the last few miles in a new city to reach our hotel.
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 09:16 PM
Original Poster

Wow! Thank you everyone! Very great tips! I can't wait to get my maps.
Gem
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 12:30 AM

We bought the Michelin "Germany, Benelux, Austria, Switzerland, Czech Republic Tourist and Motoring Atlas" for our trip last year. It was perfect. Plenty of detail and very easy to read.
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 03:04 AM

The Germans themselves use the Shell Atlas for preference, but this covers the whole of Europe with emphasis on German-speaking countries.

A smaller and cheaper version is the soft-covered "Strassen und Reisen" (Marco Polo) which has a scale of 1: 400,000 for Germany and 1:750,000 for the Alps. I think this is updated every couple of years, and it's the one I would recommend for you. You can get it at airport bookshops or in general bookstores, and the cost is around 8 Euros.

Harzer
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 02:59 AM

The best maps for germans is the ADAC maps, easy to find in Germany.
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 04:35 AM

Aral gas stations have fantatic, detailed maps of Germany and Austria.