Dining in Burgundy?

Oct 11th, 2005, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Dining in Burgundy?

My wife and I will be driving around Burgundy. We don't speak French but do know how to get along with people.

My concern is resturants...we both eat about anything but organ meats. Sometimes rest. with english menus are tourist traps and not the best. We try to avoid such places. Do you think that we will have a problem with ordering in little towns of Burgundy?

Thanks for any information!!
Oct 11th, 2005, 05:43 AM
RJD

No more so than in any other part of France. Burgundy is full of wonderful places to eat as any good guide will tell you. You should also get a good menu guide like Marling's so you can look up the strange, obscure menu items. I warn you about the "tete de veau" even if it is the specialite du maison. It's cow nose.
Oct 11th, 2005, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Thats what I needed to know. I will pick up menu guide..thanks!!
Oct 11th, 2005, 07:49 AM

We've found this glossary to be excellent for helping us eat our way through France (including Burgundy)!

http://www.patriciawells.com/glossary/atoz/glossary.htm
Oct 11th, 2005, 12:47 PM
rex

See also http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34591035

Two pleaces I have recommended before (neither exactly in the center of Burgundy are La Beursaudiere in Nitry, and another in the Beaujolais, called something like "Le Beaujolais" - - just north of http://www.chateauxandcountry.com/chateaux/longsard - - a place filled with fond memories for me). Whether you stay there or not, owners Olivier and Alex(andria) could tell you the name.

Best wishes,

Rex
Oct 11th, 2005, 12:55 PM

We have just experienced a Locaboat canal trip through the Burgundy Canal. Previously we had enjoyed the Nivernais.
On the Burgundy, I can thoroughly recommend Le Maronnier in Buffon, and also Paris-Nice in Joigny, run by Claire and David where I enjoyed an absolutely beautiful goats cheese tart.
WE speak just a little French but always make our best efforts and had no problems whatsoever. In fact it was disappointing on the few occasions (in Paris) when we were handed an English menu and it felt like a 'cop out.'
You will have such fun finding your own favourite eating places. Do you have an itinerary yet?
Oct 13th, 2005, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, I did down load that glossary of food terms!
Oct 13th, 2005, 08:18 PM

My restaurant recommendation would be Le Vieux Moulin, in the hamlet of Bouilland--not far from Beaune. The food gets one Michelin rosette, and the dining room is set beside what must be the country's smallest river, the Rhoin. If you want to stay overnight, ask for one of the traditional rooms.