Dingle and Killarney B&B's

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2011, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be traveling around Ireland in April and I am looking for any recommendations for B&B's in Dingle and Killarney. We are renting a car and will be driving during the daytime; in the evening we prefer to stay within walking distance of the restaurants, pubs etc.

We are flying back home from Shannon if there are any recommendations for other cities between Dingle and Shannon I would love to hear about them.

Thanks!
Old Mar 21st, 2011, 12:34 PM

Your budget would be really helpful - if you're looking for an inexpensive place, 5* recommendations won't help you!

In Dingle, I stayed at Emlagh Lodge and loved it. (This is about four years ago, but it's still getting 5 star reviews on TripAdvisor.) It's very close to the water, but just a five-minute walk to town. We paid €35/night at that time.

We stayed in Ennis for our last two nights before flying home from Shannon. It was a quick drive to the airport in the morning and a good town to stay in - not too far from the Cliffs of Moher and a good base for seeing the Burren.
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 05:09 AM

we are flying in to Shannon on May 6. our arrival time is 6:00am local time. we are not renting a car and will be using the bus and trains. advice on this mode of travel would be appreciated. Is there a bus depot at the Shannon airport to take us to Ennis? if we have to rent a car we will but only if getting around by bus and train is too much of a time consuming hassle.
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 10:50 AM

Keep in mind there is an Emlagh Lodge and an Emlagh House - they are different

I've not yet stayed, but we have reservations in May for our B&B at Dingle - Blooming Wildflower Cottage. www.wildflower-cottage.com - it looks lovely, and their correspondence has been great.
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 11:16 AM

Thanks, GreenDragon - I forgot about Emlagh House!

emv0816, you may want to start a new thread with your question - people who know about bus travel in Ireland may not necessarily click on something about b&bs in specific towns. That said, there have been many threads here on this in the past (I'd recommend doing a search for them) - the general consensus seems to be that you can do it, but you will be constrained to the limits of the bus and train schedules and won't be able to get to smaller towns (like Dingle) as easily.
Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 05:57 AM

I believe Nedsireland has traveled extensively in Ireland via bus - you may want to search him for his posts/ trip reports.
Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 07:07 AM

A couple of miles outside of Killarney we stayed at Redwood B&B
www.redwoodkillarney.com/

Nice place, reasonable price. Yo would need to drive to restaurants however
Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 07:09 AM

April is a perfect time to go. Many of the bushes will be in bloom, and you can pick your own Dingle berries.
Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 07:33 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
In Dingle we loved www.greenmount-house.com
The rooms,views, and food were all fabulous and it is walking distance to town.
Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 10:22 AM

LOL Rizzuto
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 10:21 AM

I always stay at The Shores on the north coast of Dingle which wouldn't fit your qualifications for a short walk to restaurants. That said, I have never thought driving at night in Ireland was any worse and actually, I find it better becasue you can see headlights coming.

Also, I'm not a big fan of Killarney (some are) and will always stay in Kenmare if I'm in that area. I have some ideas there.

Bill
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 11:27 AM

Like TPAYT, we, too, really enjoyed our stay at Greenmount House. We walked into town for dinner. It was nice to park the car and not worry about driving.

Rizzuto, the station where we bought petrol was right next to the Dingle Cleaners.
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 06:36 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Agree with the above post about Killarney--far too busy with traffic, tour buses,etc. for us. OTOH, we loved Kenmare. Stayed at www.shelburnelodge.com within walking distance of town, and it was one of our favorites.

Kenmare had some really nice shops and restaurants. "Mulcahy's" was our favorite dinner in all of Ireland.

In driving back to Shannon, we made a stop in Adare. It was very touristy, but good for an hour or two. It had the thatched roof cottages that every photographer wants to add to their photo book.

We also liked Ennis and our dinner at "Poet's Corner"----more casual, but great food and really friendly service.
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 06:43 AM

We stayed at Emlagh Lodge in Dingle, too, and LOVED it! Maggie is a fantastic hostess and the setting is beautiful, right on the water.
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 07:46 AM

Kathleen's in Killarney is clean, convenient, has a very nice breakfast and the owner is very helpful.
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 03:41 PM

My husband and I booked a room at the Pax House in Dingle, which had wonderful reviews on TripAdvisor.
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 04:59 PM

In Dingle we liked the Lighthouse, up on the hill. We walked it several times. The view was terrific, see if you can have a room on the front of the house. Dingle has some great choices, you can't go wrong with any that have been mentioned.

We stayed in Killarney once, but outside of town, so can't help you. We also prefer Kenmare, and will be staying there again next week. We liked The Lodge, an easy walk to town and lovely, spacious rooms. We stayed at the Kenmare Bay Hotel one year, where we were upgraded to a superior room. The room was wonderful, but we missed the personal touch of a B&B, and the breakfast was disappointing.
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 05:45 PM

If I am not too late to offer advice, you MUST stay at Pax House in Dingle. John and his staff are just wonderful, the rooms a very nice size, and the view for the breakfast room is to die for!! Rates are very reasonable. Rio the dog is the unofficial greeter and you will love playing with her and her ball. The location is 1 klm from the center of Dingle so we drove but you could walk there if you are energetic. I can not say enough about Pax House, we loved our 2 day stay there last October.
In Killarney we have stayed at Earl's Court for the past 2 years. A 50 room small hotel, it has a very helpful host, great breakfast, lounge with free computer access, and only a 5 minute drive to downtown Killarney. I live 2 hours away from Disney World and know a touristy area but I don't consider Killarney to be that bad. You have a great choice of shopping and dinning places plus historic sites to visit. Be sure to check out Killarney National Park where the scenery is unbeliveable, and Ross Castle is worth the tour. Have a great time, I envy you.