West Coast in 7 days?

Jul 28th, 2005, 10:19 PM
Original Poster

West Coast in 7 days?

Hello,

My husband and I plan on arriving in Cork on an early flight from Bristol, UK Sept. 18 or 19, after spending a week in England. Haven't booked the Cork flight yet...

This will be our second trip to Ireland. We have to leave on the 24th for London but it can be a late flight.

I'm working on an itinerary and need a lot of help. We won't be driving - too much stress!

We don't mind taking the bus and would prefer to stay in places (and B&B's) right in the heart of things so we can walk around and see the sights and have access to "day tours". It's worked well for us in the past!

We have already done the beautiful Antrim coast all the way down the east to the Ring of Kerry! Did it all without reservations or an itinerary and I didn't know abt these forums then. Our last trip was in 2000.

We want to finish our circle of Ireland and start with the Dingle peninsula and maybe end up flying out of Derry? Donegal? Or should we do the trip in reverse? North to south?

I would prefer to stay 2 nights in a base but that's not a must.

Anyway, here are the places we would like to see in a week if possible. Tell me what I should add or leave off. This may be our last trip to Ireland so we want to try and complete the circle and see as much as we can...

Dingle peninsula
Cliffs of Moher
Doolin Aran Islands
Galway Burren Connemara
Dunguaire Medieval Castle Banquets? Worth it?
Mayo Tour - The Mullet Peninsula
Donegal - Inishowen Peninisula

I read here that you can visit Derry and parts of Northern Ireland as day trips from Donegal.

And tips or ideas will be greatly appreciated!

btw, we live in the hills of Tennessee on a farm and we get a LOT of country...so we enjoy the towns and the music nightlife. But not TOO wild as we're in our early 50's

We prefer contemporay Irish music to traditonal but we like that as well. We'll see our fav, Van Morrison twice while we're in England! Kept waiting on seeing him in Ireland but finally gave up and booked this trip.

Thanks again,

Mary

Jul 29th, 2005, 02:17 AM

That's a pretty large order for a 7-day trip, especially considering that you will be taking public transportation: There's only 1-bus daily from Ballina to Belmullet (about 5:00 PM) and from Belmullet to Ballina (9:30 AM).

You might get some help planning your route at http://www.BusEireann.ie

Limerick City is a BusEireann 'hub' for Limerick, Kerry, Cork, Tipperary, etc. Galway is a hub for Clare, Connemara, Mayo, etc.

Slainte!
Aug 16th, 2005, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply!

We have altered our plans and will only spend our week from Dingle to Galway. I don't want to be rushed too much and if we don't see what we wanted to we will just have to go back again

Does anyone know when the last bus from Tralee to Dingle leaves on a Sunday in September? The bus websites don't have a schedule that far ahead (new timetable 9-3)and I can't seem to get their current timetables to download!

Which is best, Dingle or Doolin? I have to choose between one night in one place and two nights in the other...

Any tips appreciated!

Aug 16th, 2005, 01:03 PM

Just a thought, you might be better situated if you flew into Shannon rather than Cork. You can get a bus from the airport to Limerick and than onto your other stops. Dingle is hands down over Doolin. Have fun
Aug 16th, 2005, 04:49 PM

Absolutely do your two nights in Dingle!