Digital Camara

May 29th, 2003, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

Digital Camara

I have a 128 mb card and a 16 mb card. Do you think that will be enough for 6 weekends in Europe? I'm going to Paris, Rome, Barcelona, Florence & Vienna.
May 29th, 2003, 03:03 PM

Only you can answer a question like that. Figure out how big a typical image is with the setting you plan to use - for example, at the image size and compression I use my Canon 4MP camera averages about 1MB per image. Then do the math and determine how many shots your 144 MB (combined) will give you. It wouldn't be nearly enough for me, but that's me. Remember that you can borrow CF cards from friends for your trip and return them after you've downloaded your images.
May 29th, 2003, 03:11 PM

too tough to say -- too many variables. How many pics do you want to take? Do you mean 6 weeks (42 days) or 6 weekends (12 days)? For me personally--that is not near enough capacity for 6 weeks at home, much less a vaction to all the places you are going.

The amount of pics a 128MB card can hold varies--depending on the quality of the file (most cameras, from what I understand, allow for different file quality settings). For me, the rez I like allows my 128MB card to hold 168 pics. But--if I lowered the quality of the pic I could get much more on there. If I wanted to just email/post online (didn't want to get prints made)--I could probably lower the quality enough to quadruple that capacity. But--I wouldn't want to do that with pictures of my vacation in Europe. Personally--I'd get more capacity, or invest in a drive that connects to your camera that allows you to move the pics off that card.
May 29th, 2003, 03:13 PM

it all depends on how serious you are. i bought a sima imagebank for $129.
May 29th, 2003, 05:02 PM

Image bank or digital wallet is the way to go, see dpreview.com fom information. A bank or a wallet is a portable hard drive and will give you virtually unlimited storage ie 10meg and up.
May 29th, 2003, 05:03 PM

Sorry a wallet will give 10Gig and up.
May 30th, 2003, 01:49 AM

Katy000,

Pop for another 128 mb card -- make sure it's the right type. They're around $30 online or at WalMart ($100 in Europe).

Then: review your pics once a week and delete the not-so-hot ones (usually about half).

If you're friendly enough with your camera, switch to Manual mode and set the COMPRESSION to "Normal" or "Standard", instead of "Fine." Leave the "SIZE" alone (maximum). This will more than double the number of pics you can take with little impact on their quality.
May 30th, 2003, 07:50 AM

Thanks for the tip on an image bank. I'm going to Italy next month and was just going to buy more cards.

Another tip is to make sure you take extra batteries or a recharger and extra battery(ies). some digital cams "eat" batteries
May 30th, 2003, 09:02 AM

Unless you are going to limit your images to a combination of low resolution and high compression, I recommend at least one more 128 Mb card.

Regarding the digital wallets, etc. A profound drawback with most of these devices is that they do not provide a means of viewing the transferred images. Consequently, you cannot view the images until you have transfered them from the interim storage medium to your computer. Personally, I would not be willing to reformat (i.e., purge) my memory card without visual verification that my images were correctly transferred to the interim medium. As a worse case scenario, you would learn after you returned home that all the images that you assumed were safely stored on the temporary medium were lost. When they develop a compact, relatively inexpensive digital archive device that provides viewing capability, I will be one of the first to buy one.
May 30th, 2003, 09:37 AM
ira

I agree, buy one more 128mb car.
May 30th, 2003, 09:40 AM

CF cards, digital wallets, digital banks, reformatting, fire wires, yadda-yadda. My last trip I took a digital camera and NEVER again. The HP ate more in batteries than I could have spent taking twice the number of shots on film. The optics of my 30+ year old Nikon put the digital to shame and when I wanted to send the images out to friends when I got home I simply scanned them and sent them along. Eventually we all have to make a decision as to when ?money saving? and ?time saving? appliances and gadgets suddenly turn into the ultimate in overkill and defeat the purposes for which they were originally intended.
May 30th, 2003, 09:52 AM

To DiAbolo--have you heard of NiMH rechargeable batteries? We found that our battery charger would plug into the shaver plug in the bath room in Paris. We just take many cards. We do have a PhotoShow but have not taken it to Europe.
May 30th, 2003, 09:57 AM

Agree with Gretchen re the Ni-MH batteries. My camera needs 2 batteries, I have an extra set and I reload them every night. One set is good for about 50-80 pictures without flash. Of course, if you use the review & delete functions a lot, your batteries will be empty more quickly.
May 30th, 2003, 10:10 AM

Is my American (well, probably Japanese)digital camera battery recharger going to work without taking my voltage converter? I am taking the little plug converter because my hair dryer & curler are 110-220. But the converter thing is heavy and has a fuse to blow.
I am so glad I opened this thread, I have been ignoring it.
May 30th, 2003, 10:36 AM
RLM

Janeg, the instruction book for our camera indicated that we just needed to use the converter plug and it worked just fine.
May 30th, 2003, 11:23 AM

I wondered about needing a converter also.

After readingn this thread I looked at the back of my recharger. It states input 110/240 so all I (we) should need is an adaptor plug...no converter.
May 30th, 2003, 12:22 PM

After much deliberation, I bought a digital camera (Nikon 3100) for my just completed trip to Spain and it was great! I bought two batteries at Walmart for $18 before I left and I had a 128 and a 64mb card with me. I was there two weeks and with the res set to fine I got more than 250 pictures. For any future trips, I would bring another 128mb card with me. The batteries lasted the whole trip, in fact I still have the second battery in the camera and it is still good and I used the monitor constantly and reviewed my pictures frequently. I would never go back to film!
May 30th, 2003, 01:18 PM

I AGREE WITH ANGELA, ONE EXTRA BATTERY SHOULD DO IT. JUST LIMIT THE NUMBER OF TIMES YOU REVIEW YOUR SHOTS AND YOU WILL BE FINE. WOULD BUY ANOTHER 128
MEMORY CARD AS WELL. I BOUGHT A 256 AND HAVE NOT USED ALL THE MEMORY YET.