digital camera MB space

Sep 2nd, 2003, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

digital camera MB space

How many MB of memory will a person need for a 9 day safari as I don't suppose there is anywhere to have prints made there? Any digital info would be appreciated. Pooh
Sep 2nd, 2003, 06:08 PM

Sep 2nd, 2003, 06:20 PM
LizFrazier

I think it depends on the resolution you select. We are taking 2 256MB chips that is set so we can take 722 pictures on each chip. We will be going to Kenya when the migration is there, so we may go crazy and take lots and lots of pictures. We will only be there for 6 days.
As I recall you are going to Namibia. You won't have to worry about extraordinary circumstances, but you can plan on how many pictures you want to allow for any situation. So decide on the resolution you want to shoot at and figure from there. You can also erase any bad pictures as you go. So no one can really tell you what to plan on if you have a digital camera. You have to decide what you want to allow yourself depending on what you will see. Hope thats not simplifying it too much. I found out that the resolution makes all the difference. If you want enlargements you get fewer pictures for each megabyte. If you plan on 4x6 pictures, you get more per megabyte. Liz

Sep 2nd, 2003, 07:40 PM

It depends on what you're planning on doing with the pictures. We have a 3.3 megapixel camera and we took 2 512MB cards. We almost filled both of them. We had a 9 day safari and took some medium as well as some large pictures (you need to take large if you plan on blowing it up to an 8 x 10.) We also did some 30 second videos of some of the stuff too. We got back and wished we had put some of the pictures as large so we could blow them up. Hope that helps.
Sep 3rd, 2003, 12:01 AM

What we do is to take a secondary device that we download the pictures into - we use something called an X drive. It takes a few minutes to download a 256 card into it. It's not huge and in our case fits into the camera bag underneath the camera itself.

Advantage is not worrying about space on card and not having to delete failed shots purely on basis of tiny LCD screen (which makes it hard to even tell if the shot is no good). You just snap away, when the card is full you empty it to the X drive.

The X drive is just one such device and when you buy it you also need to buy a hard drive to go inside it - hence you can decide how much disk space it actually has.

Ours can take LOADS of cards worth of data.

Hope that helps.
Sep 3rd, 2003, 05:44 AM

Hi

I think that you should bring as much as you can I went to Thailand last year and I took about 500 MB of pictures during our 2 week vacation. That is the great thing about a digital camera: you can take pictures of everything..several time and when you get back home you can delete all the pictures that didn't turn out well. When I go to Kilimanjaro in October I will bring 2*256 + 2*128...just in case

Regards
Gard
www.gardkarlsen.com
Sep 3rd, 2003, 12:15 PM

We take our laptop along and just download the pics every day. In Thailand last year we filled 2-3 128MB cards every day, and I'll bet we will take lots on safari too!
We were considering getting a 1GB microdrive instead, but we prefer the laptop method. It definitely is more bulky and heavy, but we love being able to see the pictures.

Search this Thread