Help: Italy in August?

May 30th, 2003, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Help: Italy in August?

This is my first time checking out the boards and it seems as if everyone is much more knowledgeable than I! So here goes my my question: I am planning a honeymoon in Italy (like many others on here) and we are looking to go in the latter half of August. I have heard all of Italy is on vacation in August and also that many things are closed down. Has anyone had an August experience there? Any recommendations for whether to forge ahead or avoid Europe in August altogether? Any help (and I do mean any help) would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
May 30th, 2003, 09:04 AM

It is not that places are closed, it is that any of the best resort areas are overcrowded with locals on vacation. And, it can be hot and AC is not always reliable. So, my choice in August is the Alps. Could be Swiss Alps, Austrian lakes and Alps, the Dolomites of Italy, or a combination. But, stay north in August and enjoy cooler temps. I would consider into Munich and include Salzburg, Bavaria, the Dolomites and Lake Garda. Hope this helps.
May 30th, 2003, 10:21 AM
RAR

I wouldn't go to ANY of the lakes in northern Italy in August. Crooowwwwwwwwwwwwded.
May 30th, 2003, 10:26 AM

I spent the month of August in Florence studying Italian. It was the only time we could go. It is brutally hot but doable. You can't get relief in shops because they don't have AC. Be very careful that your hotel has AC. Some don't and some charge for it. Our apartment didn't have it. I lost 12 pounds (yea!)that month. All the museums and historic sites are open. Some of the shops are closed. Some only for a week or two in the month. You don't want to be driving or taking a train from the south to the north at the end of August. You won't be inconvenienced if, like Bob said, you stay away from the resort areas and stick to the cities. Honestly, for comfort, he's correct about staying north, but yes you can do Italy and enjoy it in August.
May 30th, 2003, 01:26 PM

If you have not booked your flight, go for September/early October....best time of year. But don't worry, any time in Italy is great.