Deutsche Bahn - Ticket to ride

Old Aug 7th, 2013, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deutsche Bahn - Ticket to ride

Thanks to invaluable advice here, I am in proud possession of DB saver tickets, just arrived in mail. Warsaw to Berlin.

I know the train conductor will validate the main ticket on board, but the final bit of journey is on Berlin's S Bahn and I don't understand how ticket validation is handled then.

Thanks to all the previous posters - going back years - who made this easy for me.
Old Aug 7th, 2013, 05:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If the ticket is valid and it includes a segment on the S-Bahn you simply get on the train and ride.
Old Aug 7th, 2013, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Dukey, the DB site offered the S Bahn stop as a destination but I see the ticket itself just references "Berlin."

Now I'm thinking DB was just giving courtesy information, and we'll buy metro passes once in Berlin.
Old Aug 7th, 2013, 09:53 AM

Actually you may probably use your train ticket to travel on the S-bahn.

"TIP 1: If you have a valid rail pass and the day of use has been entered on the select pass, you can use the S-Bahn without needing to buy another ticket. You may not ride the U-Bahn (subway), bus or tram with your rail pass." --from BerlinWalks website

If so, it must work like the Eurostar into Brussels, where onward journey is covered?
Old Aug 7th, 2013, 11:17 AM

Berlin Walks has it a bit wrong I think - some S-Bahn lines can be ridden with a valid railpass but not all - the exact wording I've seen says S-bahns between mainline rail stations - thus not like in most German cities all S-Bahns - I asked about this in Berlin not long ago and they said they same thing - that said I've ridden many S-bahns with a railpass without any problems (but have never been checked either on these honor system trains

"Berlin could mean any mainline station in Berlin and thus any S-Bahn that connects them"

For loads of great info on German trains check out these sites - www.seat61.com and www.ricksteves.com.
Old Aug 7th, 2013, 10:39 PM

A train ticket to/from "Berlin" is valid only on the S-Bahn between Westkreuz and Lichtenberg (East-West crosstown line "Stadtbahn") and between Gesundbrunnen and Schöneberg or Südkreuz (North-South line, mostly in tunnel) and on the entire Ring line.
If your final destination or starting point is on any of those sections, you can take the S-Bahn for free to those long-distance railway stations also on those sections.
As said before, subways, buses or trams are excluded from this.
Old Aug 8th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone; I will ride confidently to my S-Bahn stop, DB ticket in hand.
Old Aug 9th, 2013, 09:24 AM

I believe Berlin Walks has it wrong about railpasses being valid on s-Bahn lines in general because the wording Cowboy gives is exactly like the wording on railpass conditions.