Transport in Berlin

Search

Transport in Berlin

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2004, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transport in Berlin

I'm travelling to Berlin next December for eight days. Could somebody tell me a good and cheap way of transport? is there any kind of pass?

Thanks
Old Sep 27th, 2004, 06:34 AM

One of the most extensive Metro systems on earth exists in Berlin...looking at the Metro map can almost cause a visual distrubance whatwith all the lines and colors...BUT it is easy to navigate and I strongly suggest you consider doing so.

The so-called "Berlin Welcome Card" may be what you want but it is only good for up to three days I think..there may be other options but if you dio a Google on it you'll get a wealth of ACCURATE and UP TO DATE answers to this question.

Enjoy Berlin..great city.

Old Sep 27th, 2004, 06:43 AM

Berlin has a wonderfully comprehensive public transport system of trains, buses, trams and boats. A day ticket (valid until 0300 the next morning) for central Berlin costs 5.60 euros. There's a whole variety of other passes, including weekly tickets. Try www.bvg.de for details.
Old Sep 27th, 2004, 07:57 AM

Berlin has three zones: A, B, and C.
Most or all trips within the city center will be one-zone trips, which means your fare is 1.20 Euros (as of July 2004). I think our two-zone fare to Schoenefeld airport was 2 Euros (that was an A-B trip). Potsdam requires an A-C zone ticket.

There is a weekly pass ticket you can buy, but the price savings is not stunning. It would be nice for convenience, though.

As for modes of transport, there are the U-Bahn, S-Bahn, buses, and trams. Roughly speaking, I think the U-Bahn is underground trains and the S-Bahn is above ground trains, but I think there may be exceptions.

I think an eight-day trip is a good idea, because there is so much to see in Berlin.
Old Sep 27th, 2004, 08:27 PM
yk

Hi nevios-

I bought a 1-week transporation pass for Berlin (zones A,B & C) and thought it was an excellent deal. Covers U-bahn, S-bahn, buses, trams, and even the Regional train from Berlin out to Potsdam, plus the buses in Potsdam; plus the Express bus from Tegel Airport to Alexansder Platz. The price now is € 30 for the 1-week pass.

Since you'll be there for a week, may I suggest you look into buying the museum pass as well? A 3-day (consecutive) museum pass is only € 12!
http://www.berlin-tourist-informatio...sw_museen.html
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 03:16 AM

We were in Berlin for 8 days last July. Got a day pass from the airport & took the public transport to our hotel & headed into town after that. Got a (A-C) week's ticket the next day which was well used. Went to Potsdam & another place (where the concentration camp was) which was in Zone C & also to the airport on our last day. Very good value & worth getting. You are not puch to see all the museums that has discount on the Welcome Card that is only valid for 3 days. Loved Berlin, great transport system as well.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 12:22 PM

tt
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 12:36 PM

And there is a weekend special where i think up to five or so folks can travel all weekend for a pittance. I remember standing in line behind some Japanese girls who couldn't speak English, and the German guy who could but not Japanese who was manning the information booth tried to explain to them if they all bought one ticket to reach their hotel it would be cheaper for them to buy a weekend pass but he couldn't get the message to them.
Message - like above posts the passes are a bargain. Some are even good on boats on the Wannsee and other bodies of water.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 05:02 PM

bookmarking, thanks!