Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Berlin Hbf (tief) to Berlin Alexanderplatz

Old Jun 3rd, 2018, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

We are taking the ICE train (EC 172) from Prague to Berlin Hbf (tief). From there, we plan to take another train (RE 3127) to Alexanderplatz. But the "logistics" of what to do at Berlin Hbf (tief) are confusing to me.

Deutsche Bahn's web site mentioned taking a footpath: Berlin Hbf (RE 1 -> Frankfurt Oder) ... whatever that means.

My digital ticket simply says to take Berlin Hbf to Alexanderplatz (train RE 3127).

Finally, from the forums, it appears "tief" means lower level, and that I have to take an escalator to the upper level. From there, I should take the "S Bahn" to Alexanderplatz.

Are the S Bahn and the RE (Regional Express) two different systems? Is there a footpath or an escalator? Am I confusing two different trains somehow? Is it hard for first-time visitors to find their way around Berlin Hbf?

Thanks,

Steve
Old Jun 3rd, 2018, 04:53 PM

Unless changed recently the S-Bahn line between them -elevated one has only tracks on one level and all trains go over the same tracks though there may be more than one track in each direction. Did that many times in past and assume still the same.S-Bahn last time I took it several years ago was on upper level of Hbf. easy to find - follow S-Bahn signs. Mainline trains were running over same tracks - doubt if that is changed but anyway no problem at all - Hbf is very well marked.
Old Jun 3rd, 2018, 05:12 PM

Regionals run on the S-Bahn because the S-Bahn is run BY GermanRail...think of it as "suburban" rail just like suburban rail lines in major cities in the US. Take Pal's advice and follow the signage or look at the posted maps in the station.
Old Jun 3rd, 2018, 06:11 PM

One yes may think of S-Bahn as Suburban Bahn but really and I'm sure dukey knows that S-Bahn is for Stadtbahn (City Bahn) - yes is run by same company that runs mainline trains - Deutsche Bahn, the German National Railway, and is really a subruban railway as it connects nearby towns and Berlin districts to points all over Berlin. U-Bahn or Underground lines serve mainly the Berlin metropolis I think and are underground usually and S-Bahns mainly on elevated railways - making them a great way to see Berlin -the main S-Bahn line between DB's Station Zoo, the Hauptbahnhof, and Alexanderplatz and the old Berliner Hauptbahnhof before the war and wall went up - now called Berlin Ostbahnof (hope I have that right) - is a great way to sightsee as many major sights like the Reichstag, Brandenberg Gate/Holocaust Memorial area, Museum Island, Alexanderplatz and Unter den Linden's many attractions (like Bebelsplatz' memorial to where famed Nazi book burnings took place, are along it.

Anyway, riding the S-Bahn on that route is pretty awesome!
Old Jun 3rd, 2018, 06:16 PM

Stadtbahn can also be translated as "light rail" in some instances