CDG Terminal 1 to TGV station question

Old Jun 1st, 2018, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

CDG Terminal 1 to TGV station question

My extended family and I will be taking the TGV to Avignon some hours after arriving CDG, I get in to Terminal 2E and the train station is a short walk away. However, my mom and sister arrive at Terminal 1 on United and I believe it's a good 20-25 minutes to get to the station. My mom doesn't have any specific mobility issues but she is 81 and walks slowly and of late we request wheelchair assistance for her when she flies.

My questions is this. Can we request the wheelchair attendant to help take her to the TGV station? My sister won't be able to handle the wheelchair as well as the baggage cart by herself. If not I will go across to Terminal 1 and help them. Mom's flying first class, so am hoping United will oblige, will also ask my sister to call and check with United.

Has any one of you been in a similar situation, any suggestions? Thanks
Old Jun 1st, 2018, 05:00 AM

The wheelchair service should be able to take care of her at least as far as the CDGVal station, but if not, it is not a problem at all to get from Terminal 1 to the TGV station. You just take the elevators from the arrival level down to ground level where the CDGVal rail shuttle connects the terminals and the TGV station. It runs every few minutes and the Terminal 2 station is right at the TGV station.
Old Jun 2nd, 2018, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot kerouac. Have made myself a note to check with United, they should certainly be able to put in a request even if they canít actually tell me if the wheelchair attendant will be able to take mom to the TGV station.
Old Jun 2nd, 2018, 03:41 PM

I have taken advantage of wheelchair service at CDG through Air France on one occasion, and I wasn't flying business class, and the service was superb, but I would not expect that the service would extend beyond the limits of the particular terminal. And I have no knowledge of how good United is with this type of service, but again I would not expect it to extend to the trip from Terminal 1 to Terminal 2. Dropping your mom off at the CDGVal rail shuttle should not be a problem, though, and from there it's pretty easy.
Old Jun 2nd, 2018, 10:27 PM

I was waiting in a vey long queue on arrival at CDG (sorry, can't remember which terminal), very tired after two long-haul flights from Australia, via Singapore, when a man came up and offered me a wheelchair, which i accepted with alacrity, as I had a fairly tight TGV connection. Apart from an initial misunderstanding when he took me first to baggage reclaim (I was travelling with hand luggage only), he then took me through several corridors and lifts marked private down to the CDGVal rail shuttlle. Having helped me onto the shuttle, he then evidently expected a tip, which surprised me as I had assumed the wheelchair was a free service. However, the shuttle was about to leave, and I said truthfully that I had no accessible cash - it was all hidden away as I had my TGV ticket and hadn't expected to need to have cash handy. I feel rather bad as he had volunterred the service and I had been very glad of it, but I shall never know whether it was offerred legitimately or in the hope or expectation of securing a tip.
Old Jun 3rd, 2018, 02:40 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your input and personal experiences. It occurs to me that maybe the wheelchair service is offered by Aťroports de Paris and not the actual airline. So maybe United will not be able to confirm, though theyíll probably put in a request. I can also see why the service may not extend between terminals.

In any case I think it would be better for me to go to T1 and meet my family, especially since my flight gets in about half an hour earlier. It will be difficult for my sister to handle both the wheelchair and baggage cart by herself.

I also have sometimes seen people offering help with baggage, etc, though Iíve never availed of this... On a different note I was meeting my mother in Rome a couple of years back. Her flight got in 3 hours before mine and Fodorites suggested she wait at the airport Hilton. Iíd asked mom to take a taxi there but thereís a walkway from the terminal to the hotel and her wheelchair attendant took her there himself. Apparently he dropped her off and didnít even wait for a tip!
Old Jun 3rd, 2018, 03:35 AM

Well, your sister would not actually be handling the wheelchair since the attendant will be pushing it. It they have to wait for you to arrive from terminal 2 (and you might be late -- you never know), the wheelchair assistant will probably have dumped your mother moved your mother to normal seating somewhere as he/she will certainly have other missions to fulfill -- they can't just wait around because they have a whole list of flights to cover.
Old Jun 4th, 2018, 01:07 AM
Original Poster

Kerouac, my question is what my sister would do on getting to the TGV station, sheíd need help and would be by herself...

Which is why I was considering going to see them at T1, which I agree it isnít an ideal option. I know the wheelchair attendant wonít wait, they work on a tight schedule and canít be hanging around. Even if my flight is on time itíll still take me some time to get to T1.

Am still wondering what to do...😮
Old Jun 4th, 2018, 01:29 AM

Maybe this will help?

https://wheelchairtravel.org/paris/airport/
Old Jun 4th, 2018, 01:46 AM

The attendant leaves with the wheelchair. They don't give them away. Your mother will be on foot again but with an extremely short distance to walk.
Old Jun 4th, 2018, 03:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a ton StCirq and kerouac, this was most helpful