Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Desperarly need QUIET Barcelona hotel help!!

Old Jun 13th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have never been to Barcelona and have no idea about how to select a hotel and what is the best location for a 3 night visit to the city next May. I am VERY noise sensitive. Is there a hotel in a tourist neighborhood which is quaint and quiet? We are not searching for a luxury 5 star, but upscale would be great--not sleek and modern but has some charm.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 06:40 PM

Judy,
Since you're very noise sensitive. you certainly want to stay away from the Ramblas and the bustling Placa de Catalunya. I suggest that you stay on the left side of the Eixample (Eixample Esquerra) the upscale residential and shopping quarter within an easy walking distance of most of what you want to see.

Of the 4 star hotel choices that aren't designer hip, ultra modern or trendy (many of the new disseny Bcn hotels are that way), but rather classic, I'd suggest the boutique 3 star Derby Astoria, the new 4 star Derby Granados 83 (we're big fans of the Derby group) or the 4 star Condes de Barcelona on the elegant Passeig de Gracia, surrounded by wonderful Moderniste architecture.
www.derbyhoteles.com
www.condesdebarceona.com

I haven't seen the new Granados 83, but the general manager of the Derby Villa Real in Madrid tells me it's quite nice. They all have a classic, timeless style with some beautiful architectural-design elements. And when you book. always request an interior room at the end of the hall, and you should'nt be bothered by noise.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 10:53 PM

Judy- Lincasanova just posted about a great experience at the Catalonia Suites hotel and I think it is just what you are looking for. Also, Maribel is never wrong and I concur on the Eixample Esquerra.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 02:48 AM

Judy,

You might have to re-think the idea of "quaint" although a lot is going to depend on the location of your room in the hotel and the windown glazing.

Last year we staed in the Apsis Atrium Palace which is located on the Gran Via and about two blocks from Placa Catalunya. It is ver much moderne in one of those former Barcelona townhouses which have been converted to hotels.

My point is that we had a room fronting on Gran Via which is certainly one of the busier streets in Barcelona and had a balcony and pretty much floor-to-ceiling french doors.

The point is that when those doors were closed we heard absolutely NO noise from the street whatsoever.
I wouldn't stay too far away from the action assuming that alone is going to ensure quiet because often it will not.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 05:16 AM

Judy,
One more thought. I concur with Intrepid1 regarding not putting yourself too far from the action, since you're a first time Barcelona visitor (I believe that's correct?).
So, I would stay in the Eixample, rather than go further afield, as its a very upmarket and attractive neighborhood, Remember that a new or newly converted 4 star hotel there will surely have double glazed windows. As Intrepid says, with double glazing in a newly remodeled hotel, one can have a room with floor to ceiling windows right on the Gran Vía and still hear no noise.

Case in point: I was given a tour of the 4 star Hotel de las Letras in Madrid, a newly renovated historic building, right on the always bustling, traffic chocked Gran Vía, a location I don't normally recommend. The rooms facing the street that I was shown were silent! I was amazed. But it was very important for this new design hotel to get that detail very right, dealing with its Gran Vía location, right in front of a bus stop.
But not all hotels, particularly the older properties, or the new ones built "on the cheap" have that completely effective sound proofing.

I do know that my rooms at the Astoria, interior ones, have been blisfully peaceful and the Eixample Esquerra location is very, very attractive, with great bars and restaurants nearby-including one of laclaire's favorites, La Tramoia, on Rambla de Catalunya, and its sister, El Trobador, right across Enrique Granados street from the Astoria. The Granados 83 is just a block down from the Astoria and the 3 star Derby Balmes a short block away in the Esquerra.
The Derby hotels are owned by an Egyptologist, Jordi Clos, and filled with his personal Egyptian and Roman art collection.

I did check through the www.tripadvisor.com customer reviews of the Condes de Barcelona, and I read one complaint about a noisy room and having to be moved to an interior one. When in doubt about the hotel's quality of sound proofing, I always request an interior, just in case.

Old Jun 14th, 2006, 06:47 AM

Hi Maribel,

I have reservations at the Apsis Atrium Palace. Do you have an opinion about this hotel?
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 07:52 AM

Hi cruiseluv,
Intrepid1 can give you more specific details about the hotel, having been a recent guest (correct, Intrepid?). I think it's a fine choice. I'm admittedly biased regarding the Eixample location, and any number of the new 4 stars there are quite nice.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 08:06 AM

Thanks Maribel,

Actually it was thanks to the comments by Inteprid that I looked into this hotel! The comments in Tripadvisor were also favorable so I decided to book.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Maribel for helping me make some sense of the hotel situation in Barcelona. Quaint and charming works in Paris but it sounds like sleek and modern describes the hotel scene in Barcelona. Safe seems to be an important factor too.

The Astoria seems to be in a great location and everyone on TripAdvisor gives it high marks. Are the street side rooms noisy? Looking at a light shaft or listening to an elevator with an inside room might be worse than the street? Their website mentioned soundproofing so that would make me very happy.

If we stay in Barcelona 3 nights then leave for SanSebastian/Hondaribba, should we fly into Bilbao? I found a really cheap flight for the 1 hour flight on Iberia for 29E. We could see the Guggenheim on our way to our hotel. Would it be safe to leave our bags in the car?

Old Jun 14th, 2006, 04:01 PM

Judy...may I suggest the Hotel Gran Via, right smack on the Gran Via...good parking garage, just around the corner from Plaze Catalunya and Passeig Gracia.It is quaint, colonial old world, with a fabulous staircase..nice people...good bksts available...BUT, ask for a rear facing room...quiet as can be. We did it...and it works.

Stu T. (very low rates comparatively speaking..130E's for double)

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.c...barcelona.html
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 07:38 PM

Hi Judy,
I've always had an inside room at the Astoria, and it's been a haven of peace and quiet, so don't know about rooms facing the street. My room was on the second floor, up a short flight of stairs above the lobby and not near an elevator shaft. I'll search for the room number, but make sure to request a newly renovated room.

The Astoria has some really nice Art Deco touches-not ultra trendy/ minimalist, at al, just quietyly classy. It's really an excellent value for the money.

In addition to El Trovador right across the street, there's a great casual restaurant with a "small plates menu" (modified tapas) called Paco Meralgo which serves truly delicious, creative cuisine to the well heeled denizens of this quartier. It's on the corner of Muntaner and Córsega. Well regarded among the Bcn foodies. Sister restaurant nearby is L'Olivé.
www.pacomeralgo.com

And for pastries, you be only a few blocks from my very favorite Barcelona pastry shop/gourmet deli, "MaurI" (circa 1929). at Rambla de Catalunya 102. It's Barcelona's answer to Fauchon, more or less. Very elegant.

Yes, you should fly from Bcn to Bilbao. Pick up your rental car at Sondika airport and head towards San Sebastián.

I've never, ever parked at the Guggenheim, so I'll leave that topic to others to tell you about safety. I've heard stories about cars parked there not being safe, but they are simply stories, no personal experience. We were in Bilbao in April and parked at the Sheraton, but we were dining there.
Old Feb 10th, 2022, 02:10 AM

Hi Judy. I am like you and very sensitive to noise when trying to sleep. I am booking a hotel in Barcelona. 1st time in Spain. Where did you end up staying and how was your experience?

Originally Posted by JudyADenver View Post
Thanks Maribel for helping me make some sense of the hotel situation in Barcelona. Quaint and charming works in Paris but it sounds like sleek and modern describes the hotel scene in Barcelona. Safe seems to be an important factor too.

The Astoria seems to be in a great location and everyone on TripAdvisor gives it high marks. Are the street side rooms noisy? Looking at a light shaft or listening to an elevator with an inside room might be worse than the street? Their website mentioned soundproofing so that would make me very happy.

If we stay in Barcelona 3 nights then leave for SanSebastian/Hondaribba, should we fly into Bilbao? I found a really cheap flight for the 1 hour flight on Iberia for 29E. We could see the Guggenheim on our way to our hotel. Would it be safe to leave our bags in the car?
Old Feb 10th, 2022, 07:11 AM

16 years hotels get renovated. Neighborhoods change. I've been in some pretty quiet hotels with noisy guests and some pretty flimsy hotels with quiet guests. All the hotel can really do is insulate you from the street noise. The idiots in the room next door are harder.
Old Feb 11th, 2022, 09:30 AM

There aren't that many "quaint" hotels in Paris, either. And the small, quaint hotels are often the hoisiest ones. IN lots of cities, hotels are going modern, even when they renovate, which I don't care for but it's the trend. I mean in decor, etc.

But modern hotels can be quiet if they are tall and you get a room on a high floor. I had a really nice hotel in Barcelona in a very convenient area and on a fairly main st (Rambla de Catalunya also but it wasn't the famous part with 24/7 people etc on the lower end. That was the NH Hotel Calderon (I generally like the NH hotel chain in Spain).
Can't say enough good things about it, super convenient location and at night, you can go out and eat at some of the casual places right along the bd in front. I had a room at least on 8th fl or higher, I imagine which was perfectly quiet and I had windows I could look out at the street scene. It says it is 5* but I don't think it was when I was there, but I think the prices are pretty reasonable compared to some cities. LIke in early May, you can get a superior view room for about 220 euro. I think that's what I had (often in hotel speak the view rooms are the high ones).

This hotel really had thoughtful touches, such as there was a small corridor'foyer in-between the main sleeping part of the room and the hallway (which was a center foyer around an elevator bank), which helped cut down noise, also. I think there may have been a door to that interior corridor, also, I forget but the bathroom was off that. AND they had his/her closet space, I couldn't believe it, it was very clever.

I just loved that hotel and it is a very convenient location being only one long block from psg de Gracia and a few long blocks from placa de Catalunya.

Old Feb 11th, 2022, 09:41 AM

One thing to consider is the first stop in the city should be to buy a fan. We've done that on several trips and leave it at the last hotel's front desk. Don't deal with the hassle of power adapters and converters...just spend 20 euro there.

I can't sleep w/out a fan...much to my wife's frustration.
Old Feb 11th, 2022, 09:59 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to Fodors texbb. The thread you've tagged on to is sixteen years old. It would be much MUCH better if you started a new thread of your own. (Sometimes Fodors deletes posts to ancient threads so your post and those responding may disappear)