Barcelona Hotels

Old Sep 17th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barcelona Hotels

I am considering 3 hotels in Barcelona, Colon Hotel, Condes De Barcelona or the Rivoli Ramblas. Any recommendations?
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 03:10 AM

Hi bger! I'd first recommend conducting a SEARCH here to see if others have reviewed these 3 Barcelona hotels.

Your three would-be 4-Star Barcelona Hotels are:

Hotel Colón (web: http://www.hotelcolon.es/ ) is located in the Ciutat Vella, just inside of the Gothic Quarter but on the edge. One side of this hotel is totally pedestrian but the other side seems to be a automobile-traffic street, along which your would-be-taxi might drop you. This is a GREAT location, in the middle of everything and in a (probably) safer part of the Gothic Quarter - because it's on the edge of the Gothic Quarter. The hotel's across from the Cathedral but most of the cathedral's facade is covered/shrouded for renovation.

Hotel Condes de Barcelona (web: http://www.condesdebarcelona.com/ ) is located in the Eixample district ON THE the Passeig de Gracia. This boulevard is kind of the "Michigan Avenue" or "Fifth Avenue" of Barcelona - a major boulevard with upscale buildings, nice architecture, and fewer tourists per square meter. This is a nice area but further from Las Ramblas and the Gothic Quarter. According to their website, their rooftop terrace has views of Antonio Gaudí's La Pedrera/Casa Mila.

Hotel Rivoli Ramblas (web: http://www.hotelrivoliramblas.com/ ) is located along the upper end of Las Ramblas. And because of its location this can be good or bad depending on the kind of atmosphere you're seeking. It'll be "busy" all around you with car traffic, tourists, and a few prostitutes after midnight along Las Ramblas (and some side streets). But it's right next to the Gothic Quarter.

Please do return here after your trip to tell us which one you chose and how you liked it so that future travelers can benefit from your experiences. Thanks and have fun!

Salut, BarcelonaMan
--
Barcelona information & MORE @ you-know-where
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 10:48 AM

bger,
I'm familiar with your 3 hotel choices.
My vote-the Condes de Barcelona, housed in two 19th century mansions, with the most upcale, impressive location right above the "Mansana de la Discordia", the block where you will find the 3 gorgeous Moderniste (Art Nouveau) architectual showpieces. Great architecture, great shopping, great dining at your doorstep, and a short stroll to the Plaça de Catalunya where one catches the Bus Turístic for hop-on-hop-off touring and the Aerobúús to the airport. For summer, the C de B has a rooftop pool, and there's a fitness center around the corner. The C de B also has the latest outpost of 3 Michelin starred Basque chef, Martín Berasategui, called Lasarte.
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 11:19 AM

Several years ago when I stayed in the Colon I had a room with a view of the cathedral when it was not under scaffolding and it was great.

Because of the "non-view" possibilities and the desire to be more centrally located in Barcelona when I visited this past year I opted for a hotel just two blocks from the Placa Catalunya so I would definitely agree with Maribel in terms of hotel location.
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 01:20 PM

I booked Hotel 1898 on the upper part of La Rambla because of the excellent reviews I had seen on Travelocity.com and other sites and all around convenience. There was only one review of Hotel Condes on Travelocity.com, but I now see the fantastic views of Hotel Condes on expedia.com and other sites. I am considering moving uptown to Hotel Condes, but not sure.