Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Skiing in Chamonix in Feb. during the French School holiday

Old Sep 16th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to take a ski holiday at Chamonix with the family Feb. 15th 2007. Is that the middle of the school holiday for France? What are the lift lines going to be in that period. Anyone have any tips on keeping away from the crowds on the slopes? Go early , how early, which slopes to do, etc? I know this is not the best forum for my info. but I usually get the best info. here! I also need an inexpensive hotel for 2 adults and 2 kids in Paris in the Latin Quarter or near, for 2 weekends the last 2 weekends of Feb. 2007. I would like something for about 150.00 US if possible. Any info is great. Thanks again.
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 02:20 AM

French school holidays are graduated - there are 3 areas which have holidays at slightly different times.
Group A holidays are February 10th-26th
Group B 24th Feb -12th March
Group C 17th Feb.-5th March.

You can see on the official site that a number of cities in the east of France - Grenoble, Lyon, etc. are Group A, and so they will be on holiday from the 10th. Then in Group C you have Paris, starting on the 17th.

So yes, Chamonix will be very busy.
http://wwww.education.gouv.fr/prat/c...calendrier.php
e
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 02:21 AM

French school holidays are graduated - there are 3 areas which have holidays at slightly different times.

You can see on the official site that a number of cities in the east of France - Grenoble, Lyon, etc. are Group A, and so they will be on holiday from the 10th. Then in Group C you have Paris, starting on the 17th.

e
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 02:21 AM

Old Sep 17th, 2006, 02:23 AM

Sorry, I seem to have posted rather than previewed several times
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 02:34 AM

"Anyone have any tips on keeping away from the crowds on the slopes? "

1. Don't go to Chamonix. Purpose-built resorts - like those in the Trois Vallees - have huge domaines skiables where it's possible to escape the crowds even in peak season, and immense lift systems, reducing the risk of bottle-necks. Chamonix is just about the worst resort in the French Alps in its inability to deal with large crowds.

2. Don't go during French school holidays, or Christmas/New Year.

Ignore both these pieces of advice, and you're going to be fighting your way through crowds all day. If you want to do that, learn to love crowds and acquire the distinctive Continental skills for getting from lift queue to lift in the same week. Skills that, once acquired, will qualify you for most guerilla armies.
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 03:53 AM

Not specific to Chamonix, but;
- go early; when the lifts open.
- don't go when the ski classes start; usually at 10 am. Ski classes go first, and you will have to wait longer at the lift.
- do ski during lunchtime; many french people like to have a long leisurely lunch, and we find that it is often less busy then.
I have only been to Chamonix once, and the queues were longer than we normally see in Megeve, not far from Chamonix.
It would be nice to be able to go skiing when there are no school holidays, but if you ski with your children there is no other possibility. The week of 17 February is probably the worst week of all, since other countries (Belgium, part of Holland, Germany) also have their holidays then.
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 05:56 AM

You also need to consider that a fair proportion of Brits go skiing at half-term.

Just checked my children's UK halfterm dates - 10-17 February.

Apart from crowded slopes, the prices skyrocket for that week. Looking in a Crystal Ski brochure, prices (for hotel and flight package) are around 250 GBP higher for that week than the weeks either side.

Inexpensive hotel in 5th - try Hotel Monge. It has very good reviews here, and I stayed there with 3 children in July 2005, and thought it great value for 90 euros or so.

www.hotelmonge.com
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information on the school holidays and the ski lines. I have already booked my flight and my hotel so I am locked into Chamonix. I will be up early, and I have a car, so I can drive to the slopes. I do have another question. Can I park on the street if I pick the car up early in the AM? I did this in Innsbruck and it worked wonderfully. I also need info on hotels and towns outside of Chamonix because we will be driving to Paris after we ski on Thursday. We want to cut some driving time driving to Paris so we will try and drive half way and then stop. We will need only one night but we are not sure where we should stop. It's going to be a great trip with 2 nights in Paris 4 nights in Chamonix and then 2 more nights in Paris. Any suggestions about staying in Paris would be helpful. Hotels for about 150.00 US. near the Latin Quarter is a a stretch.
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 11:06 AM

Starting a new thread with something like 'Paris Hotels in the 5th around 150USD' in the title might get you some more replies... than you'll get in a thread about skiing in Chamonix.

Good luck and have a great trip!
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Julie I will check out Hotel Monge. I have a hotel in Chamonix for 4 nights Sunday to Thurs. for 550.00 EU with 1/2 board for 2 people. I thought this was a great rate. This gives us 4 nights in Paris and 4 nights in Chamonix which is a great trip for the kids,my wife, and I. Best of both worlds. If I can book a hotel in Paris for about 90.00 EU is a bonus. I will post again about the hotel. Thanks for the info.