Denmark Sausage Stand

Search

Denmark Sausage Stand

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2006, 09:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Denmark Sausage Stand

Hi guys, from my knowledge I know the Danes enjoy have sausage from the hotdog vendor on the street? Have any one of you guys tried it? What kind of sausage are available and got any pic of them?

Cheers,
Chuck
my world travel Street Food website
http://www.travelbyfood.com
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 10:25 PM
hsv

They call it poelser. They are basically wieners, but are definitely reddish in colour.
They come boiled or slightly fried (ristet) and are most often served in a hotdog fashion.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 04:12 AM

I just got back from Denmark a few weeks ago. I practically lived on "poelser" as everything was so expensive there. Each stand sells a variety of types. Some are basically just an American hotdog, others are more interesting. Most are red, some were white. The best, in my opinion, were called "French" hotdogs - slightly larger and more spicy and came in a roll that has a hole in the center and they stick the hotdog vertically down into it (as oppossed to lying it flat on a bun). There is also a sauce, that looks like mayo but is much better tasting. Most were delicious but I did get one that was dried up and the bun was stale so I guess quality varries.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks HSV, and Isabelle for the "poelser" info, this is the first time I got some info about Dannish food ~~ I would really like to try it.

Are hotdogs are stable diet for the Danes or just mainly for snacks? and what other foods are sold at the hotdog stand as well?

Isabelle, do you have any poelser pics that you took during your trips?

Cheers,
Chuck
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 02:15 PM

They are primarily snacks. There are also little shops or stands that sell Shwarma..I THINK that's how it's spelled. They are kind of like a middle easter taco I guess. It's a pita with chicken, beef, or ox with veggies and a dressing. Really really good and cheap compared to other foods or restaurants.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 02:23 PM
P_M

I'm not big on sausages, but I loved those when I was in Copenhagen. Although these are snacks for some people, it was enough for a meal for me, followed by a visit to the ice cream stand, of course.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 05:00 PM

I found that there were the stands all over even in a furniture store we went into. I thought they were very good. Also cheese is very big in Denmark, all kinds of cheese, I was impressed.
My friend that I stayed with that is a Dane has ryecrisp and cheese for breakfast.

We went to a wedding reception and had trays and trays of differnet kinds of cheese, I loved it.

Enjoy them!

Old Aug 19th, 2006, 05:12 PM

Another Danish traditional food is smorrebrod, an open faced sandwich. They have things like shrimp, hardboiled egg, dill, cucumber, and mayo or another kind with salmon and similiar items. There are tons of varieties. Lots of cafes and stores sell these, those I didn't see any at stands like with the hot dogs. There is one shop, near the top of Stroget (the pedestrian shopping street), called "Danishlunch.dk" which even has a web site. I do have a photo of that lunch, it will be on my website when the Copenhagen photos are done. I'm working on editing them right now, so hopefully in a week or so. It will be at www.pbase.com/annforcier. There will be a seperate gallery titled Denmark. But as I said, right now that gallery isn't posted yet. I do have photos of the hotdog stands, but I don't think of the actual hotdogs, at least I haven't come across one yet. I take a LOT of photos, so it takes a while to sort through them all.

The other Danish "specialty" is of course, the pastry known worldwide as "Danish". They certainly were yummy.
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Good to hear that you have a Danish hotdog stand photo ~~ Hope you can submit to my website. Was that the hotdog stand where you had your hotdogs?

Cheers,
Chuck
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 11:03 PM

For snacks, herrings feature quite often, freshly smoked served on black bread and butter with sliced onions or frikadeller made either from pork or veal or from fish (fish ones served with remoulade sauce). Smorrebrod (danish open sandwiches) can be bought already prepared from some bakeries, as well as Danish pastries of course.
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

Hi Isabelle, I saw your polser stand picture in your Denmark section~

Do you mind submit it to my website?

Old Aug 26th, 2006, 02:49 PM

I'm a bit queazy about eating sausages in the US, but a good friend who lives in Copenhagen told me one never has to worry about cleanliness in polser there. I prefer Steff and Houlberg to Tulip. Enjoy. I wish I were having one right now. Boots
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 03:32 PM

It's been 30 years, but I can still taste that bite through the red Danish sausage. This was just before those wonderful choices of ice cream treats.

Dansk fast food is good stuff!
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 08:13 PM

Hubby and I stopped at a polser stand, where the Danish vendor showed me how the Danes eat polser, with polserbrod. Polserbrod is held in the left hand, and the polser in the right. I promised hubby to split the snack with him, and wound up apologising for eating the whole thing. It was that good!
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 08:20 PM

Makes me want to go back to Copenhagen already!

I have to say, while I avoid hot dogs like the plague here in NY (they're known as dirty water dogs for a reason!), I wouldn't mind living off it if I find myself in Copenhagen again. Yummers.

Does anyone have a fav location? Sorry to bite off your post Chuck.
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

have you seen the "French Hotdog"
which Isabelle mention above? the hotdog sticks out vertically !!!

really interesting.
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 02:10 AM

Bookmarking