Delta Strike!

Apr 4th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Original Poster

Delta Strike!

Just wanted to share with you all

http://money.cnn.com/2006/04/04/news...ex.htm?cnn=yes
Apr 4th, 2006, 10:31 PM

It's hard for me to sympathize with Delta management. They've literally thrown money away over the years, and even now are still giving away sponsorships and donations to local fine arts groups in Atlanta.

I remember long ago when the Delta employees were so loyal and true that a flight attendant started a campaign amongst the employees to contribute to buy the company a new airplane. It made a big news story, but I don't know if they ever followed through on it.

Times have certainly changed.
Apr 4th, 2006, 10:35 PM
rex

excerpted from the link...

"observers generally agree that a strike is unlikely at the airline, which is already in bankruptcy, even with the vote announced Tuesday."

Best wishes,

Rex

Apr 5th, 2006, 01:27 AM

Thanks, Rex.
Apr 5th, 2006, 06:04 AM
aj

We are holding our breath for our scheduled May FF tickets. Due to good advice from this site I now have paper tickets. I talked to Delta and they said they had a LEGAL responsibility to honor these tickets and put us on some flight. After reading information from another "Travel Agent" site (referred by a Fodors member) they say there is no law to require this. I guess DELTA is lying to us? It is hard to wait and see but I know this is affecting many of us.
Apr 5th, 2006, 06:08 AM

We have FF tickets to Europe in June using Delta partners, Air France and Alitalia. Does anyone know whether Delta's strike/bankruptcy will affect those tickets?
Apr 5th, 2006, 06:24 AM

My wife and I also have Delta FF tickets for Italy in May, so I'd be interested in hearing from anyone out there who has been in similar situation with another airline. Although -- knock on wood -- I don't think there's going to be a stirke.
Apr 5th, 2006, 06:55 AM
rex

This is purely my speculation on how these things (could) play out.

The pilots actual vote was this:

IF they (Delta) refuse our contract, then... we WILL go on strike. This is a bit different than announcing a strike, scheduled to occur as of such-and-such date.

It makes cear to Delta management - - you want to pull this trigger? here you go, we have loaded the gun. I think it was the only plausible vote for the pilots to make. What are/were they supposed to say "we MIGHT go on strike"? They want resolution.

Moreover, there is a tremendous publicity to this, and the public will surely read this as "beware scheduling any further Delta travel" (as if they haven't already started avoiding Delta). It turns up the heat on management. Absent pilots; sales fall to zero - - one is just as deadly as the other. Either management can find a way to stop the red ink hemorrhage or they can't. If they can't, the pilots are out of a job either way.

Now, I know nothing about high finance of big publicly traded companies. The market cap of DAL (now DALRQ.PK actually) is down to 108 million dollars. KO is 99 billion. If I were them, I would invest a billion or two and keep this vital crosstown employer from turning so many Atlantans out into the street.
Apr 5th, 2006, 06:56 AM

I don't even remember how to get paper tickets, I'm so used to e-ticketing. What do I need to do to get a paper ticket and is it really worth all the fooling around?
Apr 5th, 2006, 09:56 AM
aj

I was advised on this board to get a paper ticket because it might be easier to be "picked up" by another airline. I called Delta and they mailed the tickets to me at $50.00 each! It might be throwing good money after bad but I sure don't want to "lose this trip". I am not sure the paper tickets will help but it can't hurt except for the additional expense.
Apr 5th, 2006, 10:13 AM

"I remember long ago when the Delta employees were so loyal and true that a flight attendant started a campaign amongst the employees to contribute to buy the company a new airplane. It made a big news story, but I don't know if they ever followed through on it."

Yes, that plane was purchased and used for many years. It was recently retired.

Uncertainty over Delta's financial future's been an issue for several years now. I've continued to book travel with them as usual, and have continued to benefit from their generally great service during all this time.

I've presently got three itineraries booked with them (two international) for the next couple of months and will soon book an additional two international trips for this autumn.

I just don't see the point of holding ones breath in this situation, or of booking elsewhere when Delta's offering the most convenient flights. Had I taken that approach all along I'd have gone to a lot of trouble and effort for nothing.
Apr 7th, 2006, 07:26 AM

For the past three or four years I have avoided Delta, because the customer service has become decidedly inferior, especially compared to United and Southwest. I can sort of understand why the employees aren't very happy with their jobs, but the attitudes I've encountered when we did fly on Delta make me avoid it whenever possible.

Eastern employees got that same attitude a few years before it folded. Hard to say if it was a result, or a contributing factor, to the financial difficulties. Perhaps both.
Apr 7th, 2006, 07:34 AM

Unfortunately it looks to me like Northwest is in the same situation. I think it's surviving because of their tough management but their employees' attitudes don't reflect gratitude for saving their jobs. I swear I've never walked into a galley without getting an earful of whining. I'm sure it's tough to deal with the uncertainty these people face, but the lack of attention to customer service isn't going to help move it in the right direction.
Apr 7th, 2006, 08:15 AM

Don't be shocked if you start seeing pay toilets on international flites!