Munich in March (11-17)

Mar 6th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Munich in March (11-17)

My son (HS Sr), father-in-law (80) and I missed going to 2005 Octoberfest when Hurriane Rita shut our airport on the departure date. We rescheduled for spring break (3/11-17) as it was likely the last chance we could all go together. Anyway, everything I read talks about the cold and dreary days. Can I get a few suggestions on what we might visit in Munich and also get outside a bit? We are not skiers and were originally plannng a day trip to visit the Ludwig castles and another to see Salzburg. I appreciate your thoughts as we depart this Friday.
Mar 7th, 2006, 08:56 AM

I've been to Munich in March, and I did not experience any drab or dreary days. I'm not saying you will have perfect weather, but I did not feel it was too cold to be outside (we went to the Castles). I did just fine in a light jacket/sweatshirt. It was chillier at night, but no big deal. We also went to Salzburg on the trip, and it was warm enough for me to wear a t-shirt. And if it is cold/rainy, there are plenty of museums to check out.

Granted, this was my experience. I'm not saying that Munich in March is always like that.
Mar 7th, 2006, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the note STLgrrl. It looks like parts of Europe have had a particularly cold winter this year and its forecasted to be rainy/snowy with high temps around 35-40F next week in Munich/Salzburg. We plan to visit museums, but I was curious to see if there were any extended outdoor activities we should consider despite the daily chill forecasted.
Mar 7th, 2006, 10:13 AM

Just looked at the Munich weather forecast thru the 16th--they're predicting cold, rain, snow showers the entire period. Hope they're wrong.

But fortunately Munich does have a lot of nice indoor things to do, so you should still have a great trip.

You can check fodors and other travel websites for their suggestions on things to see and do, but some of our favorites include: the Bavarian National Museum, the Alte Pinakothek for classic art and the Neue Pinakothek for modern art, the Schack Galerie, among others. How about the Center for Extraordinary Museums--a hodge-podge of unusual collections like Easter Bunnies, pedal cars, and potties? Don't know why it's not in the Center for Extraordinary Museums, but the Potato Museum is a big hit with lovers of Freedom Fries. If you're into high places, there's an Alpine Museum as well.

There are several museums related to ancient times--archaeology, Greeks, Romans, Egytians.

Nymphenburg Palace is a pleasant tram/bus ride on the west side of the city.

Even if it's chilly and bit wet out, by German Federal law all tourists are required to go to the Marienplatz and watch the famed glockenspiel do its thing at 11 am, noon, or 5 pm. If you do not, your fanny pack will be confiscated for the duration of your visit.

Of course, there are plenty of beer halls when you get thirsty or want a quick bite to eat.

You can search the web (or Fodor's destinations at this website) to get more exhaustive lists. But the above are some places we've found interesting or amusing over the years.

And if you don't mind the chilly weather, you can still visit Ludwig's castles and palaces by tour bus or car.

Enjoy.
Mar 7th, 2006, 10:29 AM

Tom,

If you happen to be from the west like me, then the chill will seem even worse in Munich. I went to Munich in May once prepared for Spring and almost froze to death.

Rufus has some great advice as usual. In addition, I would plan a half day for Dachua, and another half day for Andechs (especially if you like beer).

If you are traveling by car, then it's easy to see the three castles near Schwangau in a day, harder by train or bus. Good luck.
Mar 7th, 2006, 10:40 AM

Bird is right about visiting the castles by car. As long as the driving weather isn't too bad and you time it right, you can make advance reservations for Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau castles on the internet and stop at Linderhof on the way there or back.
Mar 7th, 2006, 04:37 PM

Right now Munich is digging our from the "snowstorm of the century". But by the time you plan to be there, things should be back to normal. And, as mentioned by others, there is lots to do and see in Munich. I can spend a whole day at the Deutsche Museum and not get bored. Also, if you are into serious music, there are usually a whole host of good converts, plus you usually can get tickets for the opera on the day of the performance. Check the tourist office. There are several. The one I recall is on the lower floor of the Karlsplatz, a major "traffic turntable" east of the main station (Hauptbahnhof).
Mar 8th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info Rufus, Bird and treplow! These are very good suggestions that will help us next week. I appreciate it greatly.
Mar 8th, 2006, 04:18 PM

The tramway is operating again since yesterday. (Although I've had quite a funny experience when the doors opened and all I saw was a pile of snow). S-Bahn, subway and busses are o.k. It has started to rain a few hours ago, temps are rising the rain mixes with the snow. It's looking REAL bad for tomorrow and the next days. Don't know how extensive the flooding will be, but tomorrow 8C are expected, and flood warnings are in place. It'll be raining cats and dogs, after that a few days below freezing again. Going to be a bad start into spring this year.
Mar 8th, 2006, 04:21 PM

If you find yourselves in the Lehel neighborhood of Munich, the Liebighof im Lehel is a nice restaurant for lunch or dinner--located at Liebigstrasse 14:

http://www.liebighof.de/

Not far from the Schack Galerie and the Bavarian National Museum.
Mar 8th, 2006, 04:23 PM

That's a real bummer, logos. Hope there's no real bad flooding.
Mar 8th, 2006, 04:25 PM

Wish me luck, it's an awful lot of work to get the mud out of the cellar...
Mar 9th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Well... thanks for the update on the weather and further recommendations. We will be staying at the Jedermann and are prepared to have a good time under all conditions. BTW, any advise ona day trip to Salzburg and would you recommend car or train under the circumstances?
Mar 9th, 2006, 03:14 PM

3/4 of the snow have melted by now. It didn't rain much today, things are o.k. Now they expect most of the rain for tomorrow. Spring would be nice now!
Mar 9th, 2006, 03:18 PM

Car or train would be o.k. Trains are operating on schedule again. Driving's o.k. too. Sorry, it'll be raining!
Mar 9th, 2006, 03:22 PM

I would definitely advise you to take a day trip to Salzburg. It's a beautiful city. Given the instability of the weather, I would suggest taking the train. Driving directions on mapquest.com tell me it's only an hour and 20 minute drive to Salzburg. But in March, snow is possible, so the train is your safest and easiet bet. Plus the train ride is gorgeous, as I remember.
Mar 9th, 2006, 03:24 PM

I'll second ceb - take the train. Getting in and out of Munich with a car is a pain, and finding a place to park in Salzburg isn't a picnic either. Train will take a little less than 2 hours and is pretty scenic.
Mar 10th, 2006, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all! Will give you a report upon our return.
Mar 10th, 2006, 10:16 AM

Have a good time! I'm looking forward to reading about your trip.
Apr 7th, 2006, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

As a follow-up, our trip to Munich was great.

The weather, while cold, was okay. It snowed a little, but never rained and we had cloudless blue skies for three days.

Our stay at the Jedermann Hotel was fine, very clean and friendly hotel and would stay there again.

Our "Original Munich Walking Tours" were very good too. We did the 3rd Reich tour in Munich and the Dachau Memorial tour. Both were informative and worth the time.

Our day trip to Neuschwanstein Castle and Kloster Andechs via car was nice and the day trip to Salzburg via train was also good. We had lunch at St. Peterskeller in Salzburg and it was very good. Also, Mozart's house (not birthplace) was interesting and worth the time.

In Munich, we walked everwhere and enjoyed the beer and pedestrian zones. The seasonal beer during Lent is also quite good (and much stronger than the Octoberfest variety). Our favorite was Augustinerbrau on Landsberger. Since the gardens were closed, this became our evening hangout and the atmosphere and food were always excellent.

We saw many other sights and look forward to visiting again in the summer. Thanks again for your advice.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO