Delta Seattle to Paris Question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2004, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I am about to purchase tickets for Seattle to Paris and then returning Rome to Seattle for $820.00 I think this is a pretty good price.? I just noticed on the itinerary that from Seattle to JFK for meal it says "food for purchase". What does this mean. I have to pay for my meal? I can't believe that. If that is the case, I'm tempted to just bring my meal with me. Has anyone experienced this? and what do you think about the fare?
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 11:04 AM
ira

Hi Barb,

820 might be a good price, when are you going?

Yes, you have to pay for meals now. Bring your own food.
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 11:05 AM

The price depends on when you're going. And have you looked at SEA-CDG roundtrip instead? And how are you going between Paris and Rome? You MAY get a better deal flying a low-cost carrier like Volare from Paris to Rome.

"Food for purchase" means exactly that. You pay for your food. It's getting common on some carriers. In general, those meals are better than the "mysterious" food that they give you for free, but yes, you may consider bringing your own food. Or just eat at SEA before departing.
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 11:15 AM

I think it sounds good for peak season, but I don't know Seattle fares at all.

I think Delta doesn't provide any free meal service any more on domestic flights, even ones that long. A lot of US carriers are doing that. YOu should bring your own, or buy something at the airport -- even there, it will be better than from Delta. I didn't get any meals on American once from DC all the way to Martinique, which took about 6 hrs or something. I was starving to death, and they justified it because we had a stopover in Puerto Rico and thus no segment was longer than 4:30-5 hrs or something, but it was so short that there wasn't time to get anything to eat there.
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 11:17 AM

I think it sounds like a pretty good fare if it is for "season" travel. You pay for food domestically but they'll feed you crossing the pond. But you'll be buying any alcoholic beverage internationally.
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 11:22 AM

We find even the pay for it food on airlines ghastly. so we generally bring our own food - either from home or a favorite gourmet shop - or even the airport (Bon Pain or similar)in a tiny foldable cooler pack.
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

I'm going in late Sept and returning the middle of Oct. I am flying Volare from Paris to Rome. I hate the waiting game to see if the fares go down and I think I can live with this fare. I paid $700 last year on SAS Sea to CDG and Nice to Sea at the same time of year. I had thought about flying into and out of Paris on SAS and taking Volare from Rome back to Paris, but when you factor in getting to and from airports, time involved in connecting flights, etc., it just seemed easier and not much more to just fly out of Rome to Sea. Plus, for some reason, this year SAS fares were much higher. I think eating before we leave, rather than schlepping food onto the plane, along with carry on might be the best bet. Has anyone managed to take their own "beverages" onto the plane? and I don't mean water.