Delphi tour options?

Aug 11th, 2005, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Delphi tour options?

My wife and I will have 15 days in Greece this Sept. We will have 3 days in Athens and would like to see Delphi. We have been quoted a price of 280 euro by George the cab driver (from Matt Barrett's excellent Greece site) This is more than we would like to pay, and since we don't know another couple to split this with, what other options are available? And is Delphi worth the effort?

Aug 11th, 2005, 10:24 AM

Hello, Bern Lor!

Delphi is absolutely worth the effort! It is truly majestic! However, if you only have 3 days in Athens, then you would still have plenty to see either way.

For what it's worth, we hired a fellow from our hotel to drive us to Delphi last fall, and we paid him (I think) 250E. We needed a private driver to take us to the nearby monastery of Osios Loukas as well as Delphi.

In our hotel lobby were fliers for bus tours to Delphi, which cost something like 75E pp. Had we not wanted to see the monastery, we would have considered one of those.

Have a wonderful trip!
Aug 11th, 2005, 12:23 PM

smalti - I actually have a supplemental question to the hiring a private driver plan - once you get to Delphi, can you hire a guide to give you a short tour, or are you on your own?

I am considering hiring a private driver for a day trip to Delphi - with 4 of us the cost is reasonably comparable to taking a bus tour. I wanted the freedom of being able to spend as much/little time where I wanted, rather than on the tour's schedule.

The bus tours come with a guide who can provide information and is a bit more interesting than reading pages out of a guide book only - I'm wondering if I can hire someone once I get to Delphi to give us a short tour.
Aug 12th, 2005, 10:06 AM

chepar--

I'm sorry that I have no info on that question. When we fought through the chaos at the ticket office to get into Delphi, we saw no staff guides or freelance guides, but then we weren't looking for them. We just used our guidebook.

Actually, our young driver could probably have given us a decent tour--he told us beforehand some things to look for. Perhaps you can find a driver to double as a guide.

Sorry I can't help, but I hope you enjoy Delphi!
Aug 12th, 2005, 11:07 AM

Thanks for the reply.

Hopefully someone else might be able to give me some info on if there are any freelance guides available. I'm assuming there's no audioguide that you can rent, either.

I'm actually fine with reading the guidebook, but I know that my 10 year old daughter would probably be more interested in hearing something (and someone) other than myself paraphrasing out of the guidebook.