Deiva Marina

Mar 10th, 2004, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Deiva Marina

Has anyone stayed in or visited this town recently? I'd like to know what you think.
I am planning a 3 night stay in the CT area, and am considering this location. I realize it's not really in the CT, but it looks like it might be nice. What do you think?
Mar 11th, 2004, 06:20 AM

We did not stay in Deiva Marina but hiked through there six years ago. It has a nicer beach than any of the Cinque Terre towns, and a small boardwalk. Just took out the couple of pictures I snapped and remember it as a very pleasant place (we had a beautiful day to hike). If you go outside of July and August you might find but a few Germans sunbathing. But if this is going to be your first only trip to this area I would try to stay in one of the five towns. JQ
Mar 11th, 2004, 08:23 AM

We were in Deiva Marina last October, and was great. The location is near to the Cinque Terre, and easy reachable by the train (15 to 30min to the first and the last city from The Cinque Terre). We stayed in Hotel Clelia, is a family-run hotel near to the train station. The prices are fair, the location is good, the friendly staff speaks English, German and French, and its restaurant is a must, even for those who aren't in the hotel. The breakfest is really super, with the best hot chocolate I've ever tried!
Mar 11th, 2004, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your replies. I am trying to decide between staying in Vernazza (Tonino Basso's rooms) or at Clelia in Deiva Marina. Tonino's rooms sound okay, but no view, or any food service. Clelia, sounds like more of a full service hotel where one can borrow bikes, get food etc. This trip is next week, so I have to decide yesterday! Thanks.
Mar 12th, 2004, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

I decided to decide this afternoon. Anyone with input? (I guess I am in the obsession stage now, but since leaving tomorrow, you guys will get a break soon). Thanks again.
Apr 25th, 2004, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you JQReports and rodrigoeju. We decided to stay in Deiva Marina at the Hotel Clelia, and we were thrilled with our decision. Vernazza is quite lovely, and VERY crowded. I found it overwhelming, and please, no offense, but overrun by Rick Steve followers. The idea about that for me, is anything, no matter how wonderful (say puppies for example), are not so great when there are hundreds, purhaps thousands, in one small place.

Anyways, we loved the hotel. We call it Fawlty Towers. The price was right, the room quite nice, great bathroom, nice views from balcony. Owners were friendly. They let me do laundry (1 euro per load including detergent). The wife bossed the husband around. She was the brains of the operation, and he was a lovely man who did just about everything. They even had a machine to purchase train tickets to/from anywhere in Italy. The food was great, 100euros included an amazing breakfast. We ate dinner there all three nights because we felt so at home there. Every guest was greeted at their table with a glass of champagne each night. It was a great base to see the CQ towns and other wonderful, dramatically scenic coast towns. Thanks again for the input.

Apr 26th, 2004, 01:04 AM

We're so pleased that our post helped you. We really loved Hotel Clelia.