Still need hotel in Cinque Terre

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2004, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I have booked all hotels for our trip to Italy (leaving Tuesday!), but still need one for the Cinque Terre. I am thinking that Monterosso would be best for us since we will have a car to park. I have sent availability inquiries to the Hotel Pasquale and the Hotel Steno, but haven't heard back yet. I also sent one to Porto Roca, but they are quite a bit more expensive. Is is worth the extra $$$ if they can accomodate us? Any other ideas? I need to get this taken care of so I can concentrate on packing! Grazie!
Old May 19th, 2004, 04:45 PM

Ignoring the issue of whether to stay in Monterosso or not, a friend and I stayed at the Hotel Baia there last fall. A lovely room with ensuite and a gorgeous seaside view was E140 a night. Nice beach across the pedestrian-only street in front of the hotel, good bar and restaurant, close to the carpark and train station. Grumpy owners but just ignore them.

Cheers,
Linda
Old May 19th, 2004, 06:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Linda, I love your direct response.
Old May 19th, 2004, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

So Linda, does this mean you wouldn't stay in Monterosso again?
Old May 20th, 2004, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Trying again.........any more info?
Old May 20th, 2004, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Just got a reply from the Porto Roca, and they are waiving their 3-night minimum for us to stay 2 nights. Just goes to show that it doesn't hurt to ask. So now we are all set for our whole itinerary, and all done within 4 days, for departure on Tuesday! Just goes to show that you CAN fly by the seat of your pants! We are looking forward to a wonderful trip, and thank you all for your help!
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 10:42 PM

Hi Chicgeek. I am not having as much luck getting them to allow me to stay at Porto Roca in September in the 280E per night double with terrace and sea views. I would have thought it would be in their interest to lock in forward bookings at that rate ! If you are on-line or have returned I would greatly appreciate your opinion of Porto Roca ? Thanks a lot from Sydney Steve.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 12:13 AM

Hi SydneySteve: There are lots of hotels in Monterosso with a wide range of prices, it doesn't make sense to pay 280e/night at the expensive Porto Roca (unless you want to of course!) with other options available. I, too, will be there in September and have spent the last 3 weeks emailing nearly every single establishment in Monterosso. I have received courteous and prompt replies from each one of them, and that has given me several choices to choose from: Hotel Souvenir** (Via Gioberti, 24 Tel 011-39-0187-817595 [email protected]) is a quiet, family-run hotel, their rooms are bright and airy and all come with tile bath/doubles=80 euros a night incl. breakfast); Villa Caribe** (Via Padre Semeria, 49 Tel 011-39-0187-817279 [email protected]) doubles=70 euros a night; Hotel La Pineta (Via Padre Semeria, 5 Tel 011-39-0187-829029 [email protected]) doubles=60 euros per person, includes meals and use of their private beach; Hotel La Colonnina*** (Via Zuecca, 6 Tel 011-39-0187-817439 [email protected]) doubles=93 euros for 2 people total.

I seem to recall from a previous post that you wanted a hotel that would have a large bed, tell them you are tall (molto alto) and that you would like a "letto matrimoniale" which should give you a big enough bed (larger than a double). Good luck with your search, you should be able to find something that will meet your needs. I can't wait to return to the CT in September!
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 12:49 AM

Hi Huitres - would be very interested to know how you came up with your Screen name ?! In Sydney we are famous for them of course.

I see your point about price and value in CT. Havent been there before but do not want to bargain at train stations with little old ladies offering accomodation - I am too old for that. Hence Monterossio rather than Venazza. We have a very very challenging itinerary through three continents to celebrate our 25th anniversary. Yes you are right - I think beds are important because as adventurous 50 year olds we usually rise early and "hit the track of life". We will check out some of the properties you mention and will try to find the matrimonial bed - I note that we have a confirmation for the matrimonial bed at Belvedere Hotel in Bellagio a few days later. We actually start our itinerary at the other Bellagio Hotel before venturing into the Grand canyon in August.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 01:11 AM

Hi SydneySteve-so you really are from Sydney! This is an international post indeed. I didn't realize that there were "huitres" down under! You will be pleased to know that there are many vacationing Australians, British, German and American tourists in the CT.

Re: the CT hotels I gave you, those were just a few from the many I heard back from. I know the CT very well and I hate seeing tourists come in and pay top-dollar for an over-priced resort when it really is not necessary. I believe utmost in comfort and cleaniness -- if I can find that at a decent hotel (regardless of the number of *s) and not get drained of my $ resources, then I feel good about my choice. However, the Porto Roca, Hotel Suisse Bellevue and some of those other properties know that Americans and others will pay that kind of money, so they can continue charging those outrageous prices. I have a lot of family friends in the CT, including my ex-fiance who owns a hotel. I learned a lot from them and don't like to be like all the rest of the "turisti". Monterosso is the biggest of the 5 towns and has a great, spanning bay and beach with a huge rock in the bay that resembles a small, small scale 'Rock of Gibraltor'. The water is an unbelievable turquoise blue and is so clear it is amazing. You are just a short train ride away to Vernazza and it can be enjoyed for the day, as any of the other towns. (It's actually better you aren't staying in Vernazza as it is the most priciest of the 5 CT towns, thanks to Rick Steves.) If you don't want to do the extensive hiking in the CT, the easy Via Dell'Amore walk between Riomaggiore and Manarola only takes about 25 minutes and hugs the coastline overlooking the sea. You can start the walk outside of either town's train stations. There are no hills in that route and it is a nice way to walk off a big dinner in either town. I would recommend eating at "La Grotta" in Riomaggiore, after you exit the train station, go through the tunnel until it comes out to the main street and La Grotta will be in front of you, to the L, next to a small grocery store. They serve some wonderful fresh fish dishes and items with pesto that you will just love (reasonable prices too!) Have a wonderful time in this most beautiful of places.....
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 03:02 AM

I recommend www.oysterfarmers.asn.au or www.theoysterfarm.com.au. A few moments ago I received another email from Porto Roca. Despite my attempt at gracious language, they repeat that they want 840E from me for 3 nights and will not accept 560E for 2 nights in September. They recommend that we should contact Hotel Palme or Hotel Pasquale. If you find the place with the biggest bed please let me know. We look forward to walking many tens of miles. Maybe we should take a tent. Thanks for your advice and with best wishes.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 10:09 AM

Hi Sydney Steve: No sense in trying to negotiate with Porto Roca with the prices that high and inflexibility on their parts. I would email the listings I gave you and ask for a double room with that letto matrimoniale, mentioning that you are tall, etc. At least you should hear back from a few, then can pick out the best rate. They are all decent hotels, I know where they are in town. Monterosso is small enough, despite its beach, to get around the entire town so nothing is truly that "far." Good luck to you, let me know if you are still running into obstacles and I can email them in Italian for you. Grazie.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 10:19 AM

For an outstanding day tour of the Cinque Terre contact Sean Risatti at [email protected]

just used him and the tour was outstanding.

I know you didnt ask but FYI
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 06:21 PM

I wonder if he knows something about a hotel with views. Some many views and so few hotels with views !
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 08:18 PM

Hi chickgeek. Have you returned from CT yet? I am very interested to know what you thought of Porto Roca ? Thanks a lot
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Hi SydneySteve! We just returned, and will post more about our trip when I get some time. But I wanted to answer you about Porto Roca. We stayed 2 nights, arriving late in the afternoon and leaving early in the morning 2 days later----so we only had one full day. We really enjoyed it. The staff was very friendly and the views awesome! The room wasn't much, but was comfortable with a queen or king bed and a balcony overlooking the sea. We had dinners and breakfasts on the large terrace overlooking the sea, and the views were unbelievable. I can't stop thinking about how beautiful it was. You must walk down a long path to the beach or to town. On our full day we took the boat to all the villages and walked the Via d'Amore, which was beautiful and easy. When we got back to Monterosso we walked around looking to see what looked good for lunch. We had lunch at Lampara or Lamparo-something, where they had great seafood. We spent a couple of hours there, talking to an interesting couple from New Zealand. Then we went to the beach, where the hotel provides chairs and umbrellas. We swam in the sea and stayed late, since it stays light so late there now. Then we had dinner at the hotel, at a perfect table out on the terrace overlooking the beautiful Mediterranean Sea. For us, the views were worth every penny of what we paid!
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 02:29 PM

Sounds great. We tried to get a terrace room overlooking the sea there at 280E+ per night but they would not allow us to stay there for two nights -only three. Despite an attempt at some delicate and respectful language, we didnt get anywhere and they did not respond to our email. So we tried three others in Monterosso and after 5-6 days have not received any replies. I did a long and detailed search of the Ligurian coast and hinterland and found a place in Dieva Marina called Hotel Clelia - a three star. www.clelia.it. I received a response overnight and have entered into a dialogue with the Family owners about their trip down here to Australia some time back. They have a great attitude, their location of 17 minutes by train from Monterossio is a selling point, they have mountain bikes, great food and unusual touches like a turkish bath in a suite at less than half the Porto Roca price.
What you have reminded me of is that we largely pay for the room standard when we travel. SydneySue and I will take your advice and visit Porto Roca for breakfast or dinner if we can get a reservation there! It does sound like the standout property in the area. Glad to hear you had a great time and thanks for posting.