Hotel in Cinque Terre - Vernazza or?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2003, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to Cinque Terre in May. Any recommendations for hotels - is Vernazza a good place to stay? The Eremo sul Mare seems a long way out!
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 06:43 PM

We stayed in Manarola at the Piccolo Marina Hotel. We loved this charming small hotel right by the "cliff edged" marina where they hoist up the boats and roll them into the carless streets on cradles. There is more to do in Vernazzo, but our hotel restaurant outside overlooking the cliffs made us break our normal rule of never eat at the same place twice. We were there two nights and couldn't have been happier.
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 06:49 PM

I am not sure your age, but Vernazza will be wall to wall back packers. If that is your scene, then have fun. If not, I would go elsewhere. Rick has ruined the place. I was there 18 years ago and it was special then.
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 06:57 PM

Couldn't agree with you more, Bob Rick and a cover story in Conde Nast Traveler. We were there about eight years ago, and it was deadly even then. I think Portovenere is completely under-rated and would suggest that as a good alternative.
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 01:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Amanda,<BR>please don't be put off visiting the Cinque Terre, it's a lovely area with some great hikes. We were there in late March and it wasn't too crowded, but it will be busier in May. We stayed at Casa Capellini in Manarola and visited all the villages. Vernazza is very picturesque (particularly as you arrive on the coastal trail from Corniglia) but has no hotels that I recall, just rooms to rent.<BR>Here is a very useful site on the area:<BR>http://homepage.sunrise.ch/homepage/avong/cinque_terre/<BR>Kay
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 02:59 AM
MK

We have stayed at Hotel Villa Steno in Monterosso and at de Baranin in Manarola and would recommend them both. I would agree with Kay, the CT is a beautiful place. I thank Rick, every time I step off of the plane in Rome or Milan, for motivating me to get off my butt and see the world. I hope Bob the N doesn't ruin Portovenere by always recommending that people go there.
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 05:41 AM

Amanda, Of course go to the CT and enjoy--just think twice about staying in Vernazza. Patrick and MK have given you 3 good options above. As for me spoiling Portovenere, my media coverage is slightly less than Ricks, but it is already too late--the Windstar cruise ship stops there now.
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 02:04 PM

Amanda, I went to Cinque Terre and stayed in Vernazza in May 2000. It was not overly crowded (with backpackers or others), and was the highlight of my two weeks spent in Italy. It was easy to find a room by simply walking off the boat (from Manarola) and asking about rooms at the restaurants in the square. I am sure you'd be happy with any of the 5 towns, and of course are free to explore all of them regardless of where you end up staying.<BR>Good luck and have fun!
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 02:06 PM

whoops - I meant the boat from Monterosso!
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 02:16 PM

Hi Amanda. I've stayed in Vernazza twice -- in 1987 and last April -- and thought it was wonderful both times. I have to respectfully disagree with Bob that Vernazza is overrun with backpackers and that Rick Steves has ruined it. When we where there in April it was massively crowded, mainly with Italian tourists, and that was only because it was Liberation Day weekend. After Sunday, when the crowds left, it almost seemed like we had it all to ourselves by comparison.<BR><BR>Sure it's popular but it's popular for a very good reason: it's an incredibly picturesque, colorful, and intimate little village. The other three small villages to the south -- Corniglia, Manarola, and Riomaggiore -- also have those qualities, but none of them have the wonderful little harbor, and harborside piazza, that Vernazza does.
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 04:00 PM
lafrancaise

I would concur with the other posts that Vernazza is indeed overrun with tourists (American, Australian, New Zealanders, etc), even more so after Rick Steves promotion of the CT and Vernazza in particular. What is bad/crowded for other travelers, is a big boost for tourism in the CT. My fiance and his family live in the CT and I have learned first-hand the effects of tourism on the area within the last 10-12 years. Because of the money flowing in, the CT has commissioned famous artist Silvio Benedetto and 2 other Italian artists to redesign the 5 train stations in the 5 CT towns. They are working on beautification and modernization work, creating specially designed piazzas with fountains, wall murals, tunnel artwork (Riomaggiore), information booths, etc to bring those once quaint, behind-the-times towns into the current mainstream Italian tourist industry. It is both a travesty and a blessing, depending on one's view point. Local CT Italians love Vernazza and call it their own Portofino, but the prices of lodging, restaurants, and souvenirs have shot sky-high because of Rick Steves, etc. I would recommend staying in Riomaggiore at Villa Argentina (from U.S. 011-39-0187-920-213) with rooms starting at 70euro/per night including an ample breakfast. The views are equally stupendous but the town is not as over-run with tourists as Vernazza is. Buon viaggio!