Itineary for London

Feb 4th, 2003, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Itineary for London

We are planning a trip to London, 2 adults and a 8 year old boy. I was wondering how this itineary sounded.

Arrive Sunday morning-
Horse guard to see changing of the guards
Royal China for dim sum
Convert garden market
early evening

Monday
London Eye
Westminster Abby
Hop on Hop off bus
Thames Cruise
Vinopolis for tour and dinner

Tuesday
Harrods
St Martin in the Field
Hamleys Toys
late lunch early dinner at Yo Sushi
Lion King (already have tickets)

Wednesday
Tower of London
London Experience
St Pauls
British Museum and libary
Italian dinner maybe at La Campagnola?

Thursday
Winsor castle

Friday
Madame Tussauds
National Museum of History
Cabinet War Rooms
Early dinner at Belgo Centraal
Les Miserables (already have tickets)

Beth
Feb 4th, 2003, 01:11 PM
nkh

Your itinerary is very ambitious but sounds like great fun. I would be a bit concerned that you are putting too much into each day, particularly Tower of London, British Museum AND Saint Pauls (Tower of London for example we spent about 4 hours since there is quite a lot to see - something like 10 tourable towers and the armor exhibit and the crown jewels which you may have to line up to get into).

I am glad you have included Hamleys toy store and the Thames cruise - both among my favorites.

You might want to prioritize into "must see" and "would like to see if time and energy permits" - particularly with an 8 year old.

If you want any alternate suggestions, you and your 8 year old would probably enjoy the Museum of Natural History which is in south Kensington in a museum area which includes it as well as the Victoria and Albert museum and the Science museum (also great fun).

Be sure to get tickets for the London Eye in advance. It can get very busy depending on when you want to go. You can book online at http://www.londoneye.com but I do not know how far in advance.

Have a great trip!
Feb 4th, 2003, 02:12 PM

Beth I agree with NKH about packing the days a bit tight. Might I suggest you consider the Hop on Hop off bus on Sunday when you first arrive. It gives you an overall view of where things are & what's near what, it's not physically taxing (if you don't do too much hopping) & traffic will be much lighter on a Sunday.
Feb 4th, 2003, 03:22 PM

I think the only day that is too full in the Wednesday. The Tower and St. Paul's will take most of the day, as there is much to see in both. The British Museum could be better squeezed into your Tues or Thur afternoon.
Feb 4th, 2003, 03:55 PM

I think flexibility is the key. Visit your "must see" sights when you all are fresh and energetic. Be willing to ditch a sight if someone gets crabby and tired or if some unanticipated fun comes along. You know your 8 year old's interest in and tolerance for museums and history.

Your Wednesday and Friday look really packed and include places some people devote a day or more to seeing. I think the British Museum has a late opening on Thursday evening. You could easily tour Windsor, have tea, and return to London in time to see some of the BM's greatest hits.

When are you visiting? If you're planned a near term trip, you'll probably have little in the way of crowds to deal with. If you're going over Easter, May or beyond you'd better add queue time to your schedule.

Have a great trip.

Feb 4th, 2003, 04:27 PM

As the others have said - most of your days are probably a little too full. You need to account for the time it tajes to just get around. Sure - the tube goes everywhere - but each tube station/connection takes a certain amount of walking - at some there is a LOT of walking.

Specifics:

* Unless you arrive very EARLY Sunday morning you will not be in central london in time for the changing of the Horseguards. The Bus tour would probably be a better choice. Covent Garden and a fairly early dinner are good ideas.

* Monday - Switch Horse Guards with the Bus. The ticket is good for 24 hours so you could still take the river cruise on Monday.

* Tuesday - You aren't doing too much this day, so use it to pick up anything else you missed earlier.

* Wed - too many "BIG" sites this day. The Tower takes 4 or 5 hours for most families. St Pauls take at least an hour - more if you climb to the top. The Br Museum can take from an hour for a high level overview or all day. Move something to another day.

* Thurs - moving the Br Museum to Thursday afternoon/evening as suggested previously makes great sense. Windsor can be done in 6 hours including train trips.

* Fri - if you mean the Natural History Museum - this is another too full day. Most kids find enough in this museum to fill many hours, Madam Tussauds can take a couple of hours, and the Cabinet War Rooms take at least an hour.
Feb 6th, 2003, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your suggestions. I moved the British Museum to Thursday as I understand it is opened late. That leaves Tower of London, London experience and St Pauls for Wednesday. We are intending on going to the Natural History Museum and Madame Tussauds,if this is to much with the Cabinet war rooms I will leave that out.I booked tickets that included the hop on hop off bus and I understand I can't pick them up on Sunday, otherwise I would have changed this as well. We are going in mid March so I hope the crowds will be down. Thanks again
Feb 6th, 2003, 04:01 PM

beth - not for you but advice for others - beth's situation is just more proof that it does not make a lot of sense to buy advance tickets to things like the Hop-on-hop-off bus or the London Eye. This simply locks you into an itinerary that may ot may not work when you get there. You do not need to ever wait in line for the bus tours - in fact you can buy them when you board the bus. And you can often get discounts in London because there are two major tour bus companies in competition for every passenger.

Plus neither the Bus tour or the Eye are things you want to do in a rain storm. Leave some things "open" and give yourselves the flexibility to do what fits best at the time.