decent/affordable hotels in London

Mar 2nd, 2004, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

decent/affordable hotels in London

Hello Fellow Travellers. We are travelling to London from the NY this month and are looking for any recommendations on reasonably priced, decent, centrally located hotels/B&Bs. The ever popular Morgan Hotel is, alas, fully booked at the time of our trip. So, any other recommendations would be very, very appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help. Carolyn ([email protected])
Mar 2nd, 2004, 07:08 AM

What do you mean by reasonably priced? With the dollar's devauluation, pricing London hotel's has shifted.
Mar 2nd, 2004, 07:14 AM

Carolyn, You've made a pretty generic request here and you'll likely field more replies if you provide some specifics like how many "we" are (couple, family, friends) and, as noted above, what your budget is. The Arosfa and St. Margaret's have been mentioned here lately.
Mar 2nd, 2004, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Sorry all. You are right, I was very vague. Let me clarify... we (my mother, sister and I) are looking to stay in a hotel/B&B near Victoria area or Covent Garden that is around 100 pounds per night (inclusive of VAT and full breakfast). WE are going to be out and about almost all of the time, so no need for luxurious surroundings and the added costs that come with it. Any recommendations of places that fellow travellers have stayed that are priced in that range, clean and friendly are appreciated. Sorry for the vagueness in my original posting. Many thanks!! Carolyn
Mar 2nd, 2004, 09:18 AM

HI
this is not in keeping with the neighborhood you requested, but I'm the one who has been posting recently about the Arosfa in Bloomsbury. Do a search on it here for my recent comments.
A triple with breakfast and very small bathroom is 70-something pounds. Clean, convenient to Tube. But if you're coming from Gatwick you'll have to change trains at Victoria.
Mar 2nd, 2004, 10:29 AM

Again not in the area you mentioned but a great location is the Westland on Bayswater, across from Kensington Park and near tube stations for the Central Line. The staff is very helpful. A full English breakfast and VAT is included in their price. Their website is www.westlandhotel.co.uk. They do have triples and range from standard to premier. Another option which well be a bit more than your 100 GBP's, is the Kensington Court ( serviced apartments). I haven't stayed there but just received a brochure in the mail. It looks nice, is a good location and the apartments apparently have fully equipped kitchens if you care to go that route. Their website is www.kensingtoncourt.co.uk
Mar 2nd, 2004, 10:37 AM

Check with the Academy Townhouse Hotel
http://www.theetoncollection.com/hotels/academy/
Located at 21 Gower, it's not too far from the Morgan in Bloomsbury. We stayed there in September for 115GBP, including VAT/breakfast. Found it to be nice room, good location, great breakfast and friendly staff.
Mar 2nd, 2004, 10:39 AM

Priceline worked very well for us.
We got the Holiday Inn Kensington Forum for a bid of $64/night for this July. If there are two of you, you might want to consider Priceline. http://www.biddingfortravel.com and http://www.betterbidding.com
Mar 2nd, 2004, 11:19 AM

The Academy Townhouse Hotel, which sheepdog mentioned, has been available on www.londontown.com lately. (I noticed it while looking at londontown.com in preparation for my own upcoming trip to London). So, if you're interested in staying there, be sure to check the Londontown website to see if it's available on your dates.

If I remember correctly, the Academy is clasified as a "Luxury Hotel" on the Londontown site, so be sure to specify that you're looking for a "Luxury Hotel" when you search for it.
Mar 2nd, 2004, 12:50 PM

I havent stayed here yet, but my mother, sister and I are staying at Elizabeth Hotel in 3 weeks. They have a web special. We are staying in a studio apt for 109 GBP/night incl. tax and breakfast. It is a 5 minute walk from Victoria and has good reviews here and on trip advisor. This hotel is on Eccleston Square and is NOT the London Elizabeth.
Mar 3rd, 2004, 05:30 AM

We stayed near Victoria Station at the Surtees. It was small, clean & quiet. Very safe & the people were friendly. Rooms were small but we were hardly there. Ask for an upstairs room. They have one with 2 twin beds & bath included. Very central & in your price range. We walked from Victoria Station. Here is their website. http://www.surtees-hotel.co.uk/virtualtour.htm
Mar 4th, 2004, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all! You have all been so great and helpful. I wish everyone a happy and healthy and safe trip abroad!
Mar 4th, 2004, 10:16 AM
guy

We just got back from London, where we stayed at the Dolphin Square Hotel in Pimlco, just a bit below Victoria. Room for two was 89 pounds, with our son on a cot. Cot was supposed to be free, according to Travelers' Advantage, but we had to fight to keep hotel from tacking on 30 pounds per night. Nice hotel: big rooms, health club, big pool, gardens, tennis court right on the Thames. We were pleasantly surprised (after the fight at the desk, that is).
Mar 4th, 2004, 01:03 PM

Wow! Great suggestions from so many of you.

I've looked at a lot of the sites you listed and see some good possibilities.

I would, however, like to know whether anyone knows of a nice, inexpensive place really close to Westminster Abbey? My parents, my husband and I will travelling to Scotland, but stopping in London literally for a day or two - and our sole objective is to go to Evensong at Westminster Abbey. (Yes, we've "done" London before and love it, but this trip, we're just passing through!)

Mom is not able to walk very far, so I was hoping to find a B&B or hotel (under 100 pounds per night per couple) that is really close to the Abbey.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thank you!
Mar 4th, 2004, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Guy, that rates sounds perfect... How did you get it as the hotel website is showing much higher rates. Thanks for the great hotel tip. Carolyn [email protected]