Reload this Page >

"Cheap Sleeps In London"

Search

"Cheap Sleeps In London"

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2004, 04:31 PM
bonniebroad

"Cheap Sleeps In London"

Has anyone followed Sandra Gustafson's recommendations for hotels in this guidebook? Wondered if you were pleased and if you feel she accurately describes the places. Thanks!

Old Jul 25th, 2004, 04:38 PM
P_M

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought that book several years ago and stayed at the Oak House, near Victoria Station. It was OK and served it's purpose, but I thought her description made it sound a little better than it was. Since then I have stayed at the Jubilee Hotel at 31 Eccleston Square, which is another budget hotel in that same area. I liked that a little better. Keep in mind that budget hotels in London are not as nice as budget hotels in the US, but so what, you'll hardly spend any time in the room anyway.
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 09:46 PM

Bonniebroad, I swear by this book. I found my usual hotel in London, the Georgian, through it. (The Georgian is on Gloucester Place, near Baker Street tube.) PM is right, that budget hotels are just that in London. Modest. But I've liked it well enough to return. The area is good, too--all the resources you need are in the neighborhood.
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 10:22 PM

Hi Bonniebroad,
Two yrs ago, my family of 4 stayed in the Swiss House Hotel, in S. Kensington recommended in Gustafson's book. We were able to get a room with the required bedding for a reasonable price, so we considered that quite a coup. We spent little time in the room, so it didn't matter that it wasn't fancy. It was clean, comfortable, and close to a tube station. Gustafson mentioned the facility served snacks in the afternoon, which was no longer the case when we visited, but that was okay.

I will often go to a bookstore or the library and take notes on recommendations in several books and look at the internet before selecting places to contact for accomodations. I will then email several places, asking about our specific needs and availability, and then make reservations based on the feedback I get. I learn some about the city in the process, and have greater peace of mind about my choice.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 02:32 AM

I have on disc a collection of comments by Americans and others on cheap hotels in the Victoria and Strand areas, and can gladly e mail it to you if you ask me. Welcome to London.

[email protected]