december in paris

Search

december in paris

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
december in paris

i am thinking of going to Paris the week before Christmas. Am i crazy? is the weather goign to be cold and rainy? I imagine there will be no sitting at sidewalk cafes. P aris is a walking city....what are your thoughts?

thanks
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 10:50 AM

I have been in Paris for Christmas! I had Christmas dinner at Les Ambassadeurs in the Hotel Crillon. I dined at Violon d'Ingres on Christmas Eve. I doubt that they are open on Christmas Eve anymore.

I was in Paris last year for the first half of December and I will be arriving their on Nov. 3rd this year and departing on Dec. 14th.

The Christmas decorations are lovely. I stay in the St. Dominique/Bourdonnais area and a stroll across Pont Alma and along ave Montaigne and on to Champs Elysees is special. Galeries Lafayette is always a must see.

The daylight hours are short, the sky might be grey. It usually does not snow much in Paris. This past winter was different! It snowed a bit outside one day when I was having lunch at Violon d'Ingres.

It is a great place to be that time of the year!

Enjoy your search...
Joan
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 12:16 PM

I was in Paris from 12 to 16 December last year. The weather was mild compared to my home in Michigan. Outdoor cafes were open. Some had gas heaters and some were partially enclosed.

Ditto Joan's remark on Galleries Lafayette. Spectacular. Bring your camera.

I had only two problems. I was fogged in for three hours at CDG on my departure and missed a connection in Detroit by minutes. Worse was that I stepped in fresh merde de chien on my last morning. Phew!
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 12:24 PM

I was there a few years ago over Chirstmas.

I had a great time. I agree with teh Galleries comments. Just amazing. You won't even need a flash

Lots of sidewalk cafes put up plastic covers and heaters.... very nice!
Old Sep 8th, 2009, 03:53 PM
jsw

Hi,
I'm sorry to be off topic, but I noticed your post about the Lugano/ Lake Como area.
We are going to spend 2 days in Lugano at the end of September and are looking for some help as far as what would be the best things to see, places to eat and how to go about getting to places
I sure would appreciate your help
Thanks
JW
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 06:32 AM

<<I imagine there will be no sitting at sidewalk cafes>>

Not in the classic sense... but when I was there from Jan-Feb 2007, the second the sun came out so did the chairs and they were sought after by locals and tourists alike (I saw this in Ile-st-Louis, le Marais, and lower 20th). It seemed to be based on rain/no-rain and not based on temps. It was only in the low 40's (F) for a few hours on some days as a high temp, and that seemed to be the peak times when the staff would line up the outside chairs... they were quick!!!

I expect (in gerneral) that Dec is a bit warmer. As mentioned above, some do have outside heaters and plastic drapes. If it is going to be a dry day, chances are you will be able to sit outside - if you can find a space.

I love the cold, it isn't something I get to see much of at home. It gave Paris a cozy feeling, and sitting outside bundeled up with a cafe was great.

~Jay
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 06:50 AM

I've been in early December and late January. When there in December, it drizzled at least once a day. so I bought a cheap umbrella and had it with me. Mind you, I'm from Canada, so I never really found Paris to be cold.

I really like that time of year. Summer, perfect, but to see Paris in another season gives you anotehr vibe.

With the days being shorter and less warm, it seems that cafe breaks are needed more often, which I approve of! And there is something about a dark and stormy night, walking down the streets of Paris, and the seeing yhr illumination from the cafe neon signs, the pharmacy green crosses,etc..that appeal to me...maybe it's just me.

And lastly, the Grands Magasins and area. Really nice XMAS windows with animation that appeal to young and old, the trees and steeet lit up,etc.. And an occasional Xmas market for stuff to bring home.

Paris has something to offer any time of year
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 12:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Just about all of the sidewalk cafés have butane "mushroom" heaters to warm the outside tables, sometimes to a higher temperature than indoors. And those who did not have them before bought them when smoking was banned indoors. (Smoking is allowed at outdoor café and restaurant terraces as long as at least one side or the roof is completely open. You will see that in reality, some of the interpretations of this are becoming creative.)

In any case, the evening news in France announced that temperatures will be above normal in until at least December due to the worldwide El Niño factor.