Paris at Christmas

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 09:22 AM
Diane

Paris at Christmas

I would like to know people's travel experiences in Paris during Christmas week, what's open, closed, weather. We got back 2 weeks ago from 10 days in Paris and now want to go back. Thank-you

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 09:46 AM
Jim P

Christmas can be a great time in Paris. No glitz and major advertising binges, but enough decorations to let you know it's Christmas. Weather can be just a jacket & sweater but bring lined raincoat & unbrella to be safe. You won't have a problem with closed restaurants etc. We had a great time!

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 09:51 AM
RnR

Paris at xamas and NYE - simply no problem. Go and enjoy, I know we did. Be sure to reserve that special meal in advance, to be sure.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 09:07 AM
wjh

Diane,
We arrived in Paris on Dec.27 and stayed through the New Year. It was a lovely time to go. Everything was decorated beautifully for Christmas (although quite different than in the US). We found everything open and it was quite fun to watch everyone shopping for their New Year's Eve celebrations. The weather was damp and chilly but not bitter cold. We walked everywhere and were not uncomfortable.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 09:51 AM
Julie

We made the mistake of doing Paris during the Christmas of 1999--you remember, the storm of the century that flattened many trees in Versailles, the Tempest, as they called it. I certainly wouldn't want to do that again, but I guess every Christmas is not like that. We just got lucky.