Paris in December

Search

Paris in December

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris in December

Planning to visit Paris around Christmas time? Will it be too cold? Will stores and museums be closed for the holiday? All suggesttions are welcome.
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 03:20 PM

I've been to Paris three times in December. The weather has always been pretty good -- mostly 40's and 50's. It is very pretty, especially with the trees on the Champs D'Elysees all lit up. Some outdoor cafes have heaters (such as Fouquet), so you can still sit outside. They decorate so beautifully, not gaudy, but simple and elegant. I have not been on Christmas day, so can't comment on that.
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 03:22 PM

Here are some pictures of Paris in December, which is a wonderful time to be there

http://www.artday.com/ma_petite_lett...s_dec2002.html
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 05:02 PM

A few years ago I spent Christmas there, and things pretty much close for the day, but the next day it seemed as though it was business as usual. I arrived on the 22; it was warm-ish (heavy coat was burdensome in RER, Metro) and raining. It was colder when I left 10 days later; I was glad for my winter coat at that point.

Christmas is a much more private, family holiday in France than here in USA; eg, no one wished my daughter and me Joyeux Noel the whole day, in restaurant or wherever. Just difference in culture.
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 05:42 PM

Your perception of "cold" will depend heavily on where you come from. (For me, it is invariably an improvement in temperatures.) We've enjoyed great deals by flying over ON Christmas, arriving Dec. 26. We've found it to be a nice time, between the holidays.
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 06:53 PM

It can be quite cold, or may be more moderate - I've experienced both in Paris in December. I do well by bringing layers - including silk longjohns - just in case.
In terms of the holiday and business closures it is, as previously mentioned, a much more family centered or religious holiday. Stores do decorate and sell Christmas related items, but not to the same extent you see in the States. There are Christmas markets around town that offer an assortment of craft items and specialty foods. One of my favorite places to visit around Christmas is the town of Versailles, where the merchants get together to select a theme and all decorate accordingly.
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 07:00 PM
IMAtravelADDICT

Bonechilling, cutting wind with sideways rain at times. And still Paris beats being at home.

Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 08:47 PM

Flyboy: I'll be doing the same thing you did, flying over on Christmas Day.

What are the chances that my inflight meal be a heaping platter of roast turkey with dressing, mashed potatoes and giblet gravy, cranberry sauce, and half a pumpkin pie? Then at 2:00 AM, will I be able to raid the galley for a leftover drumstick?

No? Well, dang! Guess I'll just (big sigh) just have to settle for a week in Paris.
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 04:37 PM

RonZ - loved the photos!
I'm planning a trip (my first to Paris) in December also...dec 10 thru 17th. Will the lights be up then?