Paris Christmas Travel

Old Dec 17th, 2018, 10:40 PM
Original Poster

Paris Christmas Travel

I will travel to Paris on this Christmas but I afraid alot about the weather and politics situation right now there...
Everything was done 1 month ago so we can not cancel or delay ~~~
I need help!!!!
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 04:55 AM

Are you from the USA? tRump said Paris is burning in his tweet yesterday. Must be true.

GO, pay no attention, it is a huge city with much to do and one of my best days was during the lockdown of the touristy areas. Where is your hotel?
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 06:21 AM

Worry more about the weather than the politics, and don't worry about the weather too much. It is December. No help needed since your trip is all set up.

Starting 26 December, you absolutely must visit the Musée des Arts Forains which is open to the public from December 26 to January 6. Metro Cour Saint Emilion on line 14.
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by kerouac View Post
Worry more about the weather than the politics, and don't worry about the weather too much. It is December. No help needed since your trip is all set up.

Starting 26 December, you absolutely must visit the Musée des Arts Forains which is open to the public from December 26 to January 6. Metro Cour Saint Emilion on line 14.
Thank you for linking to this! My sister and I arrive on 30 December and will have eight days in Paris, this is definitely going on the list!
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 11:19 AM

Of course check out the department store windows at Galleries Lafayette and Au Printemps next door by the Opera - elaborately decorated with Christmas scenes from children's book, fairy tales, etc. Not sure how protests have affected those stores and windows.

There is a public skating rink set up in front of the Hotel de Ville too with rentals and skating in a lovely setting.

I wouldn't worry too much about the protests as many think they are dying down around Christmas but seems they are localized - could be exciting to see these protests which will go down in Paris history like the May 1968 riots did. And with other visitors scared away Paris could be delightful then.
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 01:17 PM

Local politics are unlikely to get in the way of tourists visiting Paris for Christmas. Lucky you going then! Obviously no one can guarantee anything, but if I were in yours shoes, I would not be concerned at all about this.
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 04:50 PM

Printemps, Galeries Lafayette, and Bon Marche were all closed on Saturday, December 8, during the protests. The Opera House was closed as was the Metro.

Most of the bougie shops on the Rue St Honore and Place Vendôme were shuttered. "Cachez-vous Chanel." However, there were a few cafes in the area open for lunch. The famous Cafe Nemours across from the Louvre was closed.

Almost every museum was closed. An exception was the the Musee de
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 04:52 PM

la Vie Romantique.

Good luck.

Thin
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by kerouac View Post

Thanks, kerouac. We arrive in Paris on 23 December for the Christmas holiday, and I will add this to our list for 26 December.