Deals on George V??

Old Sep 25th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deals on George V??

Is it possible to get a good deal at the George V, or are the rates on the hotel website the best you can do? If not, wher eis the best place to book to get the best rate?
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 06:57 PM

Try expedia...travelocity...etc..Happy Travels!
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 07:23 PM

thre are no deals at geoV. no matter how you look at it.
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 09:11 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Folks staying at the George V are usually willing to pay the full freight. (sort of, if you have to ask the rates you can't afford them)
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 09:24 PM

Four Seasons sometimes have offers on their website depending on the time of year.
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 09:52 PM

You could look up booking through a Virtuoso travel agent. I think you don't get a break in price, but you do get an upgraded room - or something like that.

I suggest looking at the Luxury Hotels forum at FlyerTalk.com .
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 09:59 PM
mjs

The least expensive rooms are around $1000/night now. Have not been seeing too many deals with the 4S lately and suspect that the best rates for the George V are in the "if you have to ask you cannot afford it category."
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 08:43 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The George V flies the Saudi flag out front, as it is owned by Prince Al-Waleed (who also owns a giant part of Citicorp and Disneyland Paris, among other things). I don't think he believes in discounts.

I read recently that he was going to buy the entire Four Seasons chain, but I don't know if he has done it yet.
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 10:39 AM

It is possible to get special rates, upgrades and freebies at the George V. I've done it twice. But it was when we were holding a meeting there - and taking about 25 rooms for 4 nights. (Yes, even they do meetings - if the group is prestigious enough.)

As for other options - I would try an upscale travel agent, who may send them a lot of business - and can often get upgrades or freebies. (But you may well have to pay the travel agent a fee.)
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 11:11 AM

I think many here are very naive if they think that "most" people who stay at luxury hotels "don't care" what they pay. Many have made all kinds of various deals, work with a travel agent who gets them special rates, or has some sort of corporate deal. Do you also think that all those people in First Class on airlines happily fork over the "list price" for the seats not caring what it costs them?

I have friends/clients who really travel first class. They rarely pay above half the list price for their luxury suites in European hotels. But that means they are paying maybe $1500 a night instead of the "advertised" $3000. All their travel arrangements are made by an agent they've used for years. Sometimes they complain because they weren't able to get much of a deal on some luxury accomodation -- maybe only 10 or 20% off. It's hard for me to shed a tear for them.

Old Sep 26th, 2007, 11:24 AM

The last time we stayed here we booked a Business Class/Hotel package. Our suite worked out to be about half the rack rate. The word "bargain" is all relative. A good travel agent who deals mainly in business travel is the best bet.
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 11:34 AM

Roland, pray tell....

what's so special about the George Vee?
I stay there several times a year for $39.95...
that is if you're talking about the "George Vee's hourly Motel 6" in Barstow, Ca.

Stu T.
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 11:57 AM

Stu...I was wondering where you'd disappeared to. Did you receive the Asia forum GTG totebag that I mailed to you? Happy Travels!
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 06:17 PM

Guenmai:

Yes, of course, I did receive it..and have been remiss in not reporting. Thank you again. I have not disappeared, have been posting regularly on Europe, Asia, S.A. etc.

Stu T.

Old Nov 17th, 2007, 02:24 PM

I'm a little late in finding this post, but I've been looking for Paris related posts since I am will be in Paris in a few short weeks.

Remember that if you book through expedia, travelocity, etc., you are getting the bottom of the barrel rooms. Remember also that all rooms within a room category are not alike. Especially in European hotels. All superior rooms in a given hotel are not alike, all deluxe rooms are not alike. Hotels give their best rooms in each category to their preferred suppliers, to Virtuoso, to Relais and Chateux, to the organizations and businesses with whom they have carefully cultivated mutually beneficial relationships.
Expedia and Travelocity do not fall into this category, but the hotels will use them to help sell inventory.

You definitely want to book with a preferred vendor.

Virtuoso, for example, has lower rates for George V as well as extra amenities like upgrades, special treats in the room and more.

Also, I agree with NeoPatrick that clients staying in these hotels don't just pay whatever price, not caring about the cost. They very carefully search for the best possible rates at these hotels and are very selective and careful in which rates they do book and with whom they book them.

I hope that helps some.

Ellen Craig