Need help with travel plans.

Old Sep 30th, 2004, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Need help with travel plans.

We are planning to go to Las Vegas in November. Is it cheaper to book the room and flight at the individual websites, or go through a site like Expedia? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 09:07 AM

I'd say it depends. Might I suggest you search on Expedia, see what kind of rates they come back with as it'll list several based on your criteria, pick a few spots that look interesting, then simply check the expedia rate versus a direct rate from the hotel.

Old Sep 30th, 2004, 09:21 AM

Not sure where you are but the cheapest deal we found was a trip via Southwest Vacations. You can find it on the Southwest website if you have a SW hub near you. Others have mentioned America West has good deals too. I tried travelocity, expedia, separate airfare and hotel, and SW was the cheapest. Not by a whole lot, but maybe $100. More gamblin money.
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 09:46 AM

I think it can vary. Usually the best thing to do is price both. Think about which hotels you would like to stay in, and then price the air fare and room rates (by both hotel website and a website such as orbitz, expedia, etc.) for the days you will be there. Then compare this with the lowest prices you have found on the travel websites such as orbitz. Time consuming, I know, but it could save you money in the long run.
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 10:21 AM
E

Yep, you have to look all around for the best deal. First familiarize yourself with airfares from your city to Vegas (check Expedia and the rest, then check the website of the airline on which you found the best fare), then check the rates at a few hotels you're interested in (from their own websites, or Expedia, Travelocity, etc.) Add them up, and you'll be able to better evaluate the package deals. Our relatives in Florida find the package deals from their city to Vegas to be generally the better deal; but from our home city, we're better off booking hotel and airfare separately, as the packages end up costing the same or more. Good luck!