Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Ever bought a last minute package from Travelocity or others? Is it a good deal you think?

Search

Ever bought a last minute package from Travelocity or others? Is it a good deal you think?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2003, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was just looking at Palm Springs from ORD, 12/31-1/6
The Lodge at Rancho Mirage (looks nice)
Car-Avis
Flight
are all included for
$2,229 total for 2 people

Anybody else done anything like this?
THanks
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 10:08 AM

Most of our vacations are done this way. I'll have an idea a few months before hand where we want to go but often because of work we are unable to make plans until a few weeks (sometimes days) beforehand. During that between time I use the time to research the area including sights/hotels/restaraunts/transportation. I get an idea of the avg. cost so I know whats a good deal or not. Then when the price is right, which it usually is, we book. Have used Orbitz/Travelocity/Expedia and airline specific sights. Never had a problem with any of those sights. As to whether or not your specific package is good or not I'm not sure. I can tell you that for that price you can go to the Caribbean!
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 11:16 AM

I have used site59.com for last minute travel and am convinced that this is the best site around! I got hotel and air to New Orleans for less than the price of the air alone.
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 11:55 AM

I've just recently heard of this site59.com. I'm gonna have to check that out.
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 11:59 AM

Schnooks, be sure to check the a la carte rate also. Check the website of the hotel for best rate, then best airfare and car etc. Occasionally there are deals at Travelocity and Expedia, etc, but most of the packages I've priced out have not yielded any savings. I'm sure some of these packages are good deals, but there doesn't seem to be much consistency.
Also check the auctions at luxurylink.com. Use the travel search feature to see if there are any auctions for Palm Springs. The best deals I've purchased by internet have been there, but the selection can be very limited.
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 12:04 PM

Just checked out that site59. Not bad. There are some good deals to be had there. Now if only I had the time off!
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I checked Site59. I wonder if there's any way they would have trips on Dec. 29th-probably not, but that's when we can leave. It would be fun to do a last minute thing.
Most trips list the current date and then not until Dec. 31st.