Search

DCC in Ireland

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DCC in Ireland

I'm headed to Ireland in late summer. Any updates on the state of DCC in Ireland? Is it as rampant as before. I was last there in 2006. Only ran into it in a few shops. It then seemed to be ubiquitous, according to trip reports and forum reports.
I had seen a thread from 1 yr ago which said it was getting better. I will be going to the usual touristy places (Dublin, Shannon, etc).

Anyone have any recent experiences? Restaurants? hotels? shops?
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 04:33 PM

Pretty widespread still, at least in places that tourists frequent. Unlikely at service stations when buying fuel. Turning down DCC is easy, as there's no language problem. Just watch out for tell-tale sign, and when presented with a receipt with converted amount, refuse it and ask them to redo.
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 05:50 PM

They usually ask now before they try this scam the operative word being usually.
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 04:30 AM

I just got back from 5 nights in Ireland and only encountered it once. But, we often used cash for most purchases, including B&B for accommodations. We had a budget for each day, and would usually take out that amount from an ATM. That certainly shielded us.
But, at the same time, I wouldn't lose any sleep over this. In fact, I would hesitate to call this a scam. Sure, it is a shady business practice, but based on my experience, terms like "rampant" and "widespread" and "scam" over-sensationalize the situation. I checked my credit card statement, and I made 12 credit card purchases during out stay, and was only asked if I'd like to pay in dollars once. Problems like this have a tendency to get amplified on internet forums and message boards, and I would hate to see this reach the same level as pick-pockets in Paris. Its something to be aware of, but nothing more.
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 05:21 AM

The scam part is when they don't ask, then give you a huge argument when you object--even trying to convince you that the exchange rate is better with DCC or that it is impossible to cancel the sale and recharge in the local currency. Of course it is more difficult to deal with in countries that don't use the same language you do. We were hit with DCC twice in Spain, and, when I objected, the sales clerk who spoke pretty good English suddenly could speak only Spanish.
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 05:24 AM

Some Australian friends got caught by this in England before I had a chance to warn them.
They were asked. It could well be that the average shop assistant is unaware that it is dodgy. They might think that they are offering a genuine service
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 07:01 AM

'They might think that they are offering a genuine service.'

Certainly their staff manual/training will instruct them to present DCC as such, and to extol its 'advantages'!
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 09:21 AM

true, but the customer would have to be dumb to think that is a service, anyway. Why would they care if something is billed in USD or euro (which their card will convert to USD)? Makes no sense why any American would think that is a service, but some actually do, I believe. Comes with being math nincompoops, as many Americans are.
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 11:11 AM

Let's put it this way...until blogs like this began explaining why this is a scam, it indeed used to be very rampant in Ireland; as a matter of fact this scam originated in Ireland about 15 years ago....many people are much more savy today and at least look at charge slips they are asked to sign...(one of the dodges is to try to make you sign the charge slip ASAP without examining it)....but many Americans are very ignorant when it comes to money and other things once they leave the USA (due just as much to the size of the country as it is to ignorant)....they don't understand why dollars are not accepted outside the USA (after all the US dollar is the world's most important currency or at least they think) so many truly believe when they see a charge in dollars that they are having a favor done for them!