Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How much money should I bring for a week in western Ireland?

Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 03:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband is sending me on a trip to ireland with my parents, brother and his wife for a week. Flying into Shannon and staying in Adare and doing Cliffs of Moer, Burren, Connamara, on day one then to the southwest and Dingle Penninsula, etc. Flight, accomodations and car rental are already taken care of so I am wondering how many pennies to save for eating out ( probably one meal a day as the condo has a sm. kitchen) and souviniers. Hoping to bring back lots of sm gifts for my kids and family. Is $1000 US reasonable given the exchange rate? Cant wait to go, this year marks 100 years since my grandfather emmigrated!!
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 04:03 AM

$1,000 should be plenty. But you get the best exchange rate using credit cards for purchases and by using your bank card to get cash from ATMs.
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 04:14 AM

Just use your ATM card to get cash as you need it. For many purchases you can use a credit card.
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 04:56 AM

This all depends on what sort of restaurants you're going to eat in and how much you intend spending per head on gifts etc.

A good quality restaurant will cost somewhere around €25-40 per head without drinks. Pub food will cost around €15-20 without drinks. If you are eating out for 7 nights, then you'll need somewhere between €100 and €300. Add that to the gifts bill and you have your budget.

$1000 is plenty.
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 05:05 AM

Depending upon just how expensive your taste in gifts run, $1000 should be MORE than adequate. The best way to go though, is to use ATM and Credit Cards. To avoid DCC (Dynamic Currency Conversion) be SURE to have all charges made in EUROS -- NOT in US dollars. You WILL pay any 'Foreign Transaction Fees' either way, so there's NO reason to also accept a bad exchange rate, to boot.

You wrote: " Flying into Shannon and staying in Adare and doing Cliffs of Moer, Burren, Connamara, on day one then to the southwest and Dingle Penninsula, etc."

Suggest that you carefully read some of the Trip Reports, because if you BELIEVE that you can "DO" all that on Day 1, you will likely be VERY disappointed and unhappy with your Ireland trip. Ireland is a small, but DENSELY-packed country. Travel can be quite slow going -- particularly in the rural areas -- and, while a day-trip from Adare to Galway, via the Burren and Cliffs IS do-able, you won't have time to see very much of Connemara.

If your trip is in June, July or August, the extra daylight will help, but even then, Ireland is best experienced from out of the car -- not by looking out the window, as it whizzes by.

Bob
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 05:07 AM

If you exchange $1000 USD for Irish punts, at today's rate you will get back 581, less the commission, which would give you about 550 punts to play with. That's just under 80 punts per day--should be okay unless you see some beautiful crystal you absolutely have to bring home.
Avoid the commission charges by using your ATM card to get cash every couple of days, as suggested by the other posters.
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 05:12 AM

Irish Punts??? Doesn't Ireland use Euros?
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 05:34 AM

What intrigues me is:
"If you exchange $1000 USD for Irish punts, at today's rate you will get back 581, less the commission"

Today's rate?????
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 05:43 AM

Just echoing the Italian Chauffer's comments about Day 1. I gulped just reading the ambitious itinerary! Good Luck!

But have fun and enjoy! I think it is poignant that you are going on your grandfather's 100th anniversary of coming.
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 06:23 AM

Yes, Ireland uses the euro. The official exchange rate at this moment would give you 781 euro for $1,000 US, though DonnaD is correct that there will be a commission charged if you exchange cash. Agree with everyone who says ATMs are the way to go - easier, not as many fees, and you're not carrying $1,000 cash with you.

Also wholeheartedly agree about your Day 1 itinerary. If nothing else, you'll be jet lagged coming from the US and I wouldn't feel safe with you driving that much in unfamiliar territory.
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 08:24 AM

Just checking. Are you talking about $1000 (€781) each, or for all 5 of you? The first amount seems generous, while a fifth of that seems tight. There are cheap places to eat, but you don't want to be forever looking out for the most economical, particularly if you are then going to complain about the quality. Don't forget admission costs, and those little treats that soon mount up.
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

This is why I am so excited I found this site!! I did read the posts about currency and exchanging cash/ATM's. Since there are three of us who can drive, and we dont mind driving I'm not worried about long trips in the car, but do head your advice that it may be too much for day one. The best part is that we are not scheduled for the week. If we want more time in that area we can go. Looking at the map it seems Adare is pretty central to what we want to see. Bank of America has a sister bank(?) and so I will be looking for those ATM's. Thanks to ALL!!
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 01:35 PM

There's no "may" about it, I don't see how you could do the Burren, Cliffs of Moher and Connemara in 1 day starting from and returning to Adara unless you actually intended spending the day heading towards Connemara and then staying the night there? Connemara is in a totally different area altogether. It might not seems that far away either looking at a map or even by miles (Cliffs of Moher to Clifden is about 100 miles), but the roads are not great, you have to go around Galway city (which is worth seeing in it's own right) and there is just so much to see on the journey itself.

Money wise $1000 will be plenty assuming it's just for yourself. Lots of restaurants here have great Early Bird menus too up to about 7pm, take advantage and save some money.
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 01:37 PM

By the way there is a great routefinder on aaireland.ie for working out routes and distances. Have a great holiday!
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 01:44 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Tospecifically answer your thread title <B>How much money should I bring for a week in western Ireland?</B> . . . <u>None</u>. Leave your $$$ in your checking account back home and use your ATM card in Ireland.

(If you just feel you must have some cash on hand when you land,buy a few € at your departure airport)
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 02:30 PM

We are making our first trip to Ireland next month and this information about money is very helpful!!! What can we expect of the weather from 4/10 to 4/20...I am planning to layer clothes but just wonder how much wet and cold we should anticipate.
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 05:26 PM

We are also going to Ireland mid-April; I had a tread going and I got some great responses. I'll leave you with the link. Safe travels!

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-mid-april.cfm
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 09:38 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i>What can we expect of the weather from 4/10 to 4/20</i>"

You'll get a semi-accurate forecast about April 8. Your plan for layers is good -- and something waterproof
Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 05:46 PM

I will go on Friday, and still have no clue about the weather.
The official Met Office of Ireland (www.met.ie) gives you a forecast for today plus the next TWO days. And the forecast for the day after tomorrow is more or less an educated guess. Anything after that is pure voodoo.

I will stick as usually to waterproof trainers/ hiking boots which can also handle a bit of mud, jeans, hoodie, and gore-tex jacket.
Rain in Ireland does not necessarily mean a torrential downpour like in Florida, but more often a soft drizzle, or a wet mist, or just a shower.
Umbrellas are usually useless since you often get a bit of wind with the rain and you will learn that some rain can even "fall" vertically, i.e. blow straight in your face.
The upside is that you can leave all your lotions at home as your skin will be moisturized 24hrs a day.

Whatever weather you get, there is a good chance it won't last too long. Which can be good (rain) or bad (sunshine). You should be flexible, and adjust outdoor vs. indoor activities to the daily weather forecast once you get there.

Furthermore, I can only echo the comments on your day 1 itinerary. I've traveled quite extensively through Clare Co. and a bit of Galway. And the idea of going from Adare, through Limerick city, to the Cliffs of Moher, the Burren, and Connemara is simply not a good idea.
You will find more than enough in West Clare to keep you busy (and driving):
The Cliffs, Doolin, the Burren, Dysert O'Dea archeological site, Kilmacduagh Monastery, Ennis, Quin friary, Craggaunowen,.. and even that would be too much for only one day.

http://www.burrenbeo.ie/
http://www.dysertcastle.com/
http://www.gortonline.com/TouristGui...+Monastery.htm
http://www.craggaunowen.org/
Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 05:49 PM

Must have been too late/early for me.. pls edit rain falling "vertically" to "horizontally" in para #2.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -