Day Trips from Seville?

Search

Day Trips from Seville?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2004, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day Trips from Seville?

Now, this is exciting! A cousin-in-law who lives in Seville has just invited my family to come and visit. I've been before (1998), but my family has not. Since we'll have free accomodations for 10 days in April, we'd like to base out of Seville and do some day trips. Definately Cordoba (I'm crazy about it), and maybe Granada. Can Ronda be done as a day trip? What else do you recommend? Thanks so much for your help.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 08:56 PM
mjs

Cordoba, Ronda and the white towns as well as Granada and Jerez are all possible day trips from Seville although you should leave early for all these destinations. I should warn you that driving in and out of Seville can be a major problem if you get alittle lost as street signs are sparse and it is difficult to triangulate your position. This is especially true at night.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 10:31 PM

Ten days in Seville will be great. Travel through the hills and mountains of Andalucia can be slow going, though. I'd recommend one longer road trip with overnights in Ronda and Granada. This will allow you to move further west into Andalucia, giving you the chance to see these execellent locations without the tourbus throngs.

For reasonable overnights in both, we liked the Don Miguel in Ronda with its gorge and bridge views from our room. The centrally located Hotel Residencia Macia in Granada allowed us to see the city and the Alhambra rather easily. But, next time, I think I'd shoot for the Parador in the Alhambra.

-- Chad
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 12:45 AM

10-days in April?? Easter is 11 April preceded by Semana Santa which peaks on 9 April. Then you have Sevila's Feria de abril, probably 'kicking off' around 20 April!!

Daytrips could include Arcos, Jerez, el Puerto de Santa Maria and Cadiz. But if you are in Sevilla for Semana Santa or the Feria de abril, you may want to spend time right there, in Sevilla.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 01:55 AM

Ronda is great for a day trip and that's definitely all you need. We stayed at the Parador there, which overlooks the gorge and the bridge (not as impressive in person as it looks in the photos).

Other than that, there is a famous bullring there, and a couple other small sights, but I think you could do it in half a day if you're pressed for time.

Otherwise, get there in the late morning, see the sights, have dinner and then go back to Seville. It's only about a 2 hour drive from Seville to Ronda. Not a big deal.

We stayed at the Parador in Ronda this past September when we were there, and were disappointed. In my opinion, it's not worth the money. If you stay over, I would stay in town, where the action is in the evening, and be SURE to book your alhambra tickets ahead of time online. Otherwise you will wait in a rather large line when you get there, and if they run out if tickets you'll be out of luck!

And I agree with the other poster about Seville and driving. It can be pretty distressing and time consuming, but if you've been there before, you probably know this already.

I agree with you, Cordoba is fantastic. We stayed at the Maimonides, a 3 star hotel right across from the Mosque, which was nicer than many of the 5 stars we stayed at while there. We saw the Mosque, went to soak in the Arab Baths, and spent a few hours in a new Arab Tea House that had just opened which had the most fabulous teas and milkshake drinks I've ever tasted!

I'd spend the night in Cordoba if I were you...I agree...found it the best place in that region!
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you kindly for your replies. I will read my trusty Michelin guide regarding those towns recommended where I have not yet been. A follow up question:

We will be there April 1-10. Is Semana Santa a celebration or more of a solemn time? How is it observed?

If any of you have Mairbel's famous files, would you kindly e-mail me at [email protected]. I am interested in Southern Spain, but also Madrid and Barcelona. Gracias.
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 08:23 PM

I'll send Maribel's Sevilla, Barcelona and Madrid files.
Old Jan 17th, 2004, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much, SharonNRay !
Old Jan 17th, 2004, 01:48 PM

Hi: I spent 10 days this past June in Sevilla. It was wonderful just to walk all the neighborhoods. I took day trips by bus to Gibralter(stayed one night and the next day went to Tangiers, Morocco); went to Jerez(get there early to see the horses), went to the Algarve coast of Portugal and went to the Alhambra and Granada. Had been to Cordoba, Ronda and Malaga and Costa del Sol on other trips. Have fun
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 04:04 PM

SharonNRayMc:
I saw you forwarded some of Maribel's files. I e-mailed her a week ago and haven't heard back. I would be eternally grateful if you could send me her file on Seville and any others you may have pertaining to our trip. We are travelling to Seville, Cordoba, Italica, Aracena, through the Alentejo to Evora, then Lisbon and Sintra. My email address is [email protected]
Old May 8th, 2004, 08:08 AM

Just saw this request for Maribel's Seville file. I'm hoping it's not too late, but I have sent the file to [email protected].
- Sharon