Seville Day Trip - Cordoba or Ronda

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2014, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are having a quick trip through the Andalucia region of Spain in mid May. We will be spending 3 nights in Granada (but don't actually arrive until late on the first night), 4 nights in Seville and then 3 nights in Madrid before flying out.

I would like to spend one of the Seville days doing a day trip to either Cordoba or Ronda. I realise that we could stop off in Cordoba on the way to Madrid but don't want to cut into our time in Madrid.

Is Cordoba sufficiently different to the other places we are staying to make it worthwhile going there (and of course it is only a fairly short trip) or would we better off doing a day trip to Ronda? Your advice would be appreciated. We won't have a car so either way it would need to be by train or bus.
Old Mar 16th, 2014, 08:02 AM

Cordoba gives you a fine old core, closer in style to Seville than Granada, but still unmistakably Cordoban, and it gives you The Mezquita - one the most beautiful and fascinating structures in the world.

Ronda gives you a very attractive town, without major attractions, that is beautifully situated across a gorge in the Sierra de Ronda mountains. It is without question far different from Granada, Seville and Cordoba.

Cordoba is much easier to get to than Ronda, from Seville - just 50 minutes by train. Ronda requires several hours by bus.

If the Mezquita does not excite you, and you don't mind 4-5 hours of return bus travel, I would choose Ronda.

Madrid sits alone in this analysis, similar to none.
Old Mar 16th, 2014, 08:07 AM

Aramis gives a good summary and I'll reiterate that the Mequita IMO is a very unique site. The view into the gorge at Ronda is amazing but I think the ease of getting to Cordoba plus the Mequita make my vote go to Cordoba.
Old Mar 16th, 2014, 08:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have spent 2 hours at Ronda wondering why anyone went there, I then had lunch, thought about it some more and drove on. On the other hand I was almost crying that I had to leave Cordoba, the little streets, the food the drink and the people are wonderful before you see the buildings
Old Mar 16th, 2014, 08:52 AM

I really liked Cordoba, also, which I did as a day trip from Seville. I didn't go to Ronda, I didn't consider it really feasible by public transportation from Seville and thought it sounded more like something you'd do with a car if you were touring that area, it's not exactly a day trip destination, is it? What would you do there all day?
Old Mar 16th, 2014, 09:01 AM

IMHO Cordoba is about 10 times more intresting than Ronda - a cute small town in a nice location - but nothing like the history or culture of Codoba (where I would want to spend at least one night - I would take it away from Madrid - which to us is meh).
Old Mar 16th, 2014, 09:05 AM

Cordoba has so so many old churches (including a converted mosque) - exquisite interiors, narrow white washed lanes, etc. But is more like Seville - Ronda is way different - not many main sights but a dramatic gorge bisecting the city makes it physically unique.

I think it takes longer to get to Ronda - I took a bus there thru the iconic whitewashed villages and stayed in Ronda - but it seemed a lot longer than taking the 45-minute or so train ride to Cordoba.

Can't go wrong. For lots of info on Spanish trains check out www.renfe.com - Spanish Railways site with discounted tickets if you book far enough in advance - and www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksgteves.com - check the latter two for info not only on trains but Andalucia in general.

Another day trip to consider from Seville would go to nearby Jerez-de-la-Frontera for tours of the famous sherry houses (and tasting) and also to catch the famous rehearsals of the huge Andlaiusian horses at the local training school - you can see rehearsals in the arena - a smaller town with not much else and not that great looks but two specific interests things - an easy train ride.
Old Mar 16th, 2014, 09:50 AM

It's far quicker getting to Cordoba than visiting Ronda from Sevilla, but Ronda offers more than just the gorge. If you are into wine touring, there are at least 26 bodegas close to the city that can be reached by car, or taxi (www.ruta-vinos-ronda.com). Ronda is now producing some excellent reds, including those from Bodega Conrad and Los Aguilares.

The Curva de Pileta (www.cuevadelapileta.org) is now considered to be one of the most important caves in all of Europe, filled with hundreds of cave painting dating back to the ice age. You can take a taxi out to the cave from the tourist office, and the taxi will wait for you.

You can also visit a nearby bull and horse raising ranch a few minutes outside of the city. Tours leave from the tourist office near the Plaza de Toros de Ronda, Real Maestranza de Caballería de Ronda (www.rmcr.org).

Jerez, known for its flamenco, sherry tastings and the Royal Andalucían School of Equestrian Art, has become a destination for great cuisine and requires more than a mere day-trip from Sevilla. But if you are only going to be in Jerez for the sherry tasting and horse show, then you should have lunch at Restaurante Albalá, which chef Israel Ramos moved to a new location across the street from the Royal Andalucían School of Equestrian Art and is close to Sandeman.
Old Mar 16th, 2014, 10:27 AM

'sherry' being an English corrupted version of Jerez - British companies I believe dominated the sherry market for a long time as old British ladies just loved to sip sherry - Britain I believe for long being the biggest market. I did two sherry house tours but really they were about the same - I like the ornate premises as much as the free taste of sherry at the end.
Old Mar 16th, 2014, 11:17 AM
kja

Cordoba!
Old Mar 16th, 2014, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Well, the general consensus appears to be Cordoba. Certainly, time wise it makes sense to go there.

As we haven't a car, checking out the various caves or the horse racing ranch in Ronda isn't really feasible. I knew the bus trip to Ronda would be a lot longer but had thought that possibly we would be travelling through some great countryside. However, as no one has mentioned that as a consideration, I am assuming that is not the case.

As Cordoba is not that far from Seville is it really necessary to pre-book tickets for there or can I safely leave it to the last minute? Would it be considered more a local trip and therefore no big price increases if you book just beforehand?
Old Mar 16th, 2014, 06:10 PM

I hope you are doing the easy and quick train to Toledo from Madrid. The cathedral is magnificent.
Old Mar 16th, 2014, 11:17 PM

The only problems with Cordoba are the heat, it's always warm, even in winter, and the tacky tourist shops that line the streets in the old quarter, they are everywhere. Dining can also be a problem if you don't have reservations at one of the better restaurants.

The city has been cleaned up quite a bit along the river and makes for a nice walk.
Old Mar 17th, 2014, 03:05 AM

If your dates in May coincide with the Patio festival in Cordoba I'd reserve my train tickets in advance. My vote would be for cordoba in any case as a daytrip versus Ronda but if your visit is during the Patio Festival then I would definately choose Cordoba.
Old Mar 17th, 2014, 07:46 AM

Another vote for Córdoba, once the most important city in Europe. May in Córdoba is very special with the May Crosses festival in the beginning of the month, then the patio festival in the middle, and then the flamenco inspired Feria towards the end of the month. This year the patio festival runs from May 5-18.
http://www.andalucia.com/cities/cordoba/patios.htm
The Feria in late May: http://www.andalucia.com/festival/co...pring-fair.htm

"Córdoba, the city that changed the world": http://www.theguardian.com/spanish-t...-changed-world
Old Mar 18th, 2014, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Cathy & Kimhe,

Thank you for telling me about the patio festival. I didn't know about that. We might just be able to squeeze in going on the 17th or 18th.