Search

Day trips from Salzburg

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2006, 08:02 AM
glk
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day trips from Salzburg

We're spending a week in Salzburg, and anticipate rain on a day we're planning for a day-trip by car. We're thinking about somewhere probably under 2.5 hrs away. We'll have already visited Hallstatt, and are doing Munich another day.
Any suggestions for a great day?
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 08:27 AM

Regensburg may be a good option. Its about 2-2.5 hours away but its a neat city to spend a day in.

When we were in Salzburg last year we daytripped to Cesky Krumlov in the Czech Republic and had a fabulous time. Again, this took about 2.5 hours, but it offered a completely different experience.

I'm assuming you've already been to or know about Berchtesgaden and its surrounding area? This area is only 20 minutes from Salzburg but offers quite a bit.

good luck!
Tracy
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 08:32 AM

Burghausen (longest castle in Europe, I believe) and other stops in this lesser visited part of Bavaria within easy reach of Salzburg.

There are many other places I would suggest in the Salzburg area...St. Gilgen, Bad Reichenhall, Werfen, Zell am See etc., but they are so easily reached by train or postbus, renting a car to visit them isn't necessary or cost effective (it only costs a couple of euro to get to Bad Reichenhall and back, for example).
When picking your day trip destination, compare the cost and ease of mass transit v. the cost of a car.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 08:53 AM

Wolfgangsee and Konigsee are both well worth a day---lucky you !
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 08:56 AM

Hello,

I'm from Salzburg and also like to suggest
Berchtesgadener Land with the cities of Bad Reichenhall and Berchtesgaden (Lake Koenigssee and world-famous Chapel of St.Bartolomae are to be found here - not only the Obersalzberg)
Very nice too is the Lake Chiemsee (The Bavarian Sea) area 1 hour north west of Salzburg with very nice villages, p.e. Prien and it's Firy Elias (old steam train) and perhaps nearby (bit south) village of Aschau with the Hohenaschau Castel and a marvellous gourmet restaurant (Residenz Heinz Winkler). This would be a very nice day trip - and I by myself prefer doing this by car - it's fun to see the stunning landscape of Berchtesgadener Land and Chiemsee from the car.
Burghausen also is very nice (with the longest not ruined European Castle indeed).
Other hint: The village of St. Gilgen on Lake Wolfgangsee in the famous Salzkammergut. Go to St.Gilgen in the morning, have a boat trip to St. Wolfgang and than by cable car up to the Schafberg Alm - beautiful panoramic views with your lunch.

Enjoy our stay here!

Frank
webmaster http://www.theluxuryhotels.info/
office Salzburg-Elixhausen

by the way: Here in Elixhausen -10kms north east of Salzburg City, good to reach by bus if you prefer to drink some wine- is also a very good gourmet restaurant in the Romantikhotel Gmachl!