Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Traveling to greece, are these packages a good deal?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2006, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a student studying abroad, and for our fall break my friends and i are interested is traveling to greece. We looked at different premade packages of athens, myconos, and santorini. The company is called Kivotos of Agean, its through greecetravel.com. They arrange flights, ferries, and 3 star hotels for 8 nights. Does anyone know if the hotels called: Hotel Arethusa or Jason inn (both athens) or Mykonos Bay or Ilio Maris (in mykonos) or Hotel Hermis or Lavante Beach (Santorini) are decent and in the heart of the city. I also was wondering if this company is good with arrngement of flights, etc... thanks! Becuase for three persons the price is 670 euro each... is this a rip off?
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 04:14 AM

670 Euro includes what?
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

well... we have to buy our own flight to athens... but once in athens it includes a flight to mykononos, breakfast and three nights stay in a 3 star hotel. From anthens, a ferry from mykonons to santorini, and three nights stay with breakfast. And from santorini, another ferry to athens for two nights stay and breakfast. And then we have to get our own flight back to rome from athens. good deal or no deal?
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 07:30 AM

I don't know anything about air fares in Greece, but I am familiar with ferry services and this price looks ludicrous to me. Out of season, hotels will be cheap and there will be no need to book hotels in advance. You don't say exactly when you're going, but the weather can be very variable and booking a beach hotel could be a big mistake: it might be cool and wet. I'd certainly much rather have the flexibility of being able to pick my own itinerary and places to stay which will almost certainly work out cheaper.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 08:59 AM

Geoff is right. This is organised crime. Book a night in Athens, go to Pireas, take a boat to Mykonos or Paros, in the harbour people offer you rooms and appartments for peanuts (itīs the end of the season)if you can bargain. Stay a night or two, change island (Santorini ... )etc. and go back to Athens. Greece ist easy to travel.
Gaspard